Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Barton Model Flying Club -> Engine Talk

#1: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: mross PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 pm
    —
Following a recent phone call I can now disclose that an exciting new engineering venture is about to unfold on British shores. Oliver Tiger engine production is going to be restarted further north than the original Dorset factory. With the full cooperation and experience of John Oliver senior,all the original dies,jigs and fixtures,and existing stock will be moved to the new factory. John himself, will be chief consultant to the project . At the present time, the range of motors to be built is still in the development stage but it is envisaged to be extensive.No engines will be sold until a full evaluation of their potential has been assessed for the field.As soon as further details are known they will be printed in these listings. I know everyone involved has the desire to succeed so lets wish them well for the future of the sport.

#2:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:47 pm
    —
This is good news for engine operators and model flyers but I fear that there will be mass suicides among the ranks of the glass case brigade (Collectors).
Oh well.

Please keep us up to date on engine types, sizes and possible release dates.
Hopefully this will put paid to importing failure-prone oriental copies.

Strike a blow for quality.......finally!
Rule Britannia.

#3: Olivers Author: bpLocation: Adelaide, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:43 am
    —
Well this is terrific.
When I was a lad I couldn't afford an Oliver, maybe now I'm in my dotage I will be able to!!
All the very best to the venture. Looking forward to the updates.
Bill Pudney
In a sunny, and very dry (some would say dessicated!!) Adelaide

#4:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:57 am
    —
Marvelous news. Guess they will be coming in at £65, and thus the defined engine for Barton Classic "A"? Put me down for one. Very Happy
Presumably you mean J.O. Junior, unless you have priveleged access to that great hangar in the sky?
Will also take a little pressure off me.

#5:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:19 am
    —
The rumour doing the rounds in OZ is that they will be built by PAW. Wink

#6:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 am
    —
April 1st hasn't arrived early has it?

To be built by PAW?!!! If so, I think the price will be significantly higher than their own products and let us hope the quality is consistent with the Olivers of old and not the PAWs of the present. Yes, I know PAWs can be good but they aren't consistently so.

Patrick Hardy

#7:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 am
    —
rustler wrote:
Marvelous news. Guess they will be coming in at £65, and thus the defined engine for Barton Classic "A"? Put me down for one. Very Happy
Presumably you mean J.O. Junior, unless you have priveleged access to that great hangar in the sky?
Will also take a little pressure off me.

Is this not going to impinge on your operation Ian?

Patrick Hardy

#8:  Author: raglafartLocation: East Bowral Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:36 am
    —
locktite401 wrote:

Ray, I'm not going to bite on this one Rolling Eyes

#9:  Author: TothLocation: Melbourne, in the southern state of Cactoria, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:08 am
    —
Kev wrote
Quote:
I fear that there will be mass suicides among the ranks of the glass case brigade (Collectors).
'fraid not Kev old fruit just makes an original Oliver "Oliver" more valuable and we of the glass case brigade will buy up more of these new fangle ones so that future generations will have something to complain about or perpetuate the current one Very Happy Very Happy

The big question of course before parting with my sheckels is will the new production be as good as an R250 out of the box?

Ployd in OZ

#10: "New" Oliver Tiger Author: SibbsieLocation: Chester PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:44 am
    —
For the Barton Committee to consider - will the "new" Oliver be acceptable for Barton Classic 15, as a permenant alternative to the Fora? Perhaps a case of wait and see, depending on price?
John.

#11:  Author: JP PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:27 pm
    —
Fora against Oliver? Similar speed,but Fora has it on range.

Price £65? I don't think so. But excellent news all the same.

#12: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:52 pm
    —
I have often wondered why this has not happened before. Good Luck to John and his partners in this venture.

Irvin

#13:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:23 pm
    —
Peter,

Quote:
The big question of course before parting with my sheckels is will the new production be as good as an R250 out of the box?

If its even equal to the R250, I'll have one.

Quote:
Kev old fruit
....hmmmmm, I thought that was a closely guarded secret. To quote Dick Emery - "Oooooooh you are a one". Wink

#14:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:23 pm
    —
locktite401 wrote:

Lets put paid to these rumours before they go too far or folks even start to believe them.
I can categorically state that the Olivers are not going to be made by PAW but am not at liberty to reveal who is going to be doing them.
All will be revealed shortly I think.

Guess that scotches quite a few of the previous posts does it not.

Jim

#15:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:26 pm
    —
Toth wrote:
Kev wrote
Quote:
I fear that there will be mass suicides among the ranks of the glass case brigade (Collectors).
'fraid not Kev old fruit just makes an original Oliver "Oliver" more valuable and we of the glass case brigade will buy up more of these new fangle ones so that future generations will have something to complain about or perpetuate the current one Very Happy Very Happy

Ployd in OZ

If it is going to go into a glass case I hardly think it matters. Wink

Jim

#16:  Author: TimhLocation: Brigg, North Lincs England PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm
    —
Under normal circumstances I disapprove of folk going out and buying numbers of engines, with several duplications, with the intention of never taking them out the box or using them. Hoarders.

I'd just like to say that I suspend that disapproval as far as this venture is concerned and offer my full encouragement. Wink

Sincere good luck to all concerned.

Tim

#17:  Author: VTR President PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:17 pm
    —
Very interesting.

I hope that they are cheaper than the first one I had bought for a Christmas/Birthday present.
That was in 1956 and cost £6. 10 shillings. Waiting time was about 6 months.
A good weeks wages was about £10 my pocket money was 10 bob.
Assuming a wage today of £400 a week that makes an equivalent price of £260. As I said I hope they are cheaper than in 1956.
VTR Pres.

#18:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:32 pm
    —
10 shillings pocket money in 1956! You were indeed blessed.

Patrick Hardy

#19:  Author: lawrence courtLocation: BOLTON PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 pm
    —
Probably a little less expensive than the 1956 eqivalent price but I am willing to bet not by much if the quality is to be as good. You did do well for pocket money Dave.

#20:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:12 pm
    —
It is interesting to note that the price of Olivers increased very little in the 10 years after 1956.

Patrick Hardy

#21:  Author: JP PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:22 pm
    —
machika wrote:
It is interesting to note that the price of Olivers increased very little in the 10 years after 1956.

Patrick Hardy

Car spark plugs had not changed price since the early 30s till the mid 60s.

The first change was when the extended nose type came out at 6s (30p). The original style were still 5s (25p) and didn't rise in price till the early 70s. Though I do know someone who was getting his Porsche 911S serviced and said " just stick a set of plugs in it" He picked up the car with a bill for £15 for 6 plugs at £2. 10s per plug. Petrol was about 30p a gallon.

#22:  Author: Les PilgrimLocation: Timaru,South Canterbury,New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:33 pm
    —
I used to get 2 bob a week off my Grandad, for collecting , pig swill, and delivering it to his allotment!!. That was in 1956, and a Frog 50 Mk2 diesel was £2.10 and summat!!.What a bummer that was!!We never got that engine to run, before it was deemed ,"Worn out", by the local model shop proprietor,presumably from 2 months flikkin' and flikkin!!
Now a new Oliver!!,God Bless em!!, Will they be making the 1.5's as well?,(Cubs).Here's hoping.
Good luck to those ,"Doing 'em!", as Jim so charmingly put it!.I'll be a customer.

#23:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 pm
    —
Ah!
We are in danger of coming back on topic. Wink

Jim

#24:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 pm
    —
machika wrote:
Is this not going to impinge on your operation Ian?Patrick Hardy

No worries. As Windy Urtnowski in the States says, "There's room for everyone".

Bottom line is if noone wants any I won't produce any. I have about 25 engines in my range.

#25:  Author: Terry McDonaldLocation: Derby PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:08 am
    —
It says a lot for the quality of the Oliver that 50 years on people still want to use them. Others have come and gone but the magic of the Oliver still remains - I love them. Despite the number I have I will be likely to buy one of these new ones.

Being a bit older than Dave (like 10 years) I only got 2 bob a week pocket money and supplemented this by doing farm work in the holidays. Getting a few pounds for a back breaking week picking spuds or haymaking soon made you realise the value of money. At £4/9/6 my first engine cost a fortune by 1949 prices. ( A postman I knew earned £6 before tax per week).

#26:  Author: JP PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:20 pm
    —
Terry McDonald wrote:
It says a lot for the quality of the Oliver that 50 years on people still want to use them. Others have come and gone but the magic of the Oliver still remains - I love them. Despite the number I have I will be likely to buy one of these new ones.

So the next question is among those with genuine Olivers.

When is the last time you used one to fly a model aircraft?

#27: Using Olivers. Author: Jeff SmithLocation: West Yorkshire. PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:59 pm
    —
This is off topic but I am answering the question posed by JP.

I last used my MKIV in a Hallam Models Peacemaker last spring.

I used my MK111 in the same model prior to that. I swopped over to my MKIV when I relaised it (the MK111) needed a re-bore.

So I can claim to have used both my Oli's this year.

HAPPY LANDINGS.

#28:  Author: VTR President PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:14 pm
    —
Reply to JP the last time I used a gen Oli was the last time I flew a Vintage A model. September in Evora. 3min 20 odd in the heats and an unfortunate run in in the final.
A model aircraft engine should be in a model aircraft going round in circles.
Looking forward to seeing the new clones if they reach production.
You dont think that all the engine collectors will get together and scotch the production, do you?
A bit like all the Oil Companies do when someone invents a method of using less petrol or oil in a vehicle.
Dont forget the Bilston Club Swapmeet and the VTR SIG AGM on Sunday.
I love going to swapmeets and watching the engine collectors break out in a sweat when someone offers to buy one of their engines.
VTR Pres.

#29:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:42 pm
    —
I thought a clone was a copy of the original. They wouldn't be clones, would they, if the original tooling is used to make them?

Patrick Hardy

#30:  Author: lawrence courtLocation: BOLTON PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 pm
    —
There are people still using real Olivers. Perhaps you were thinking of serious competition use JP. That may be a different matter. Not so many now particularly in Vintage A. Tom and I used my Oliver powered Texan at Hucknall and whilst it is a reasonable motor we cant do much better than 24/10 where as the Eifflaender special powered Shorty will circ ulate at 22 and a bit for ten and do the same laps.
With the odd exception ie Daves, real Tigers tend to fall into two categories these days, in a display case or in a draw, worn out
I have a Mk 4 I have never used because there is nothing I fly that it would be competetive in. Neil ( my ex pilot son for those of you who dont know ) can have it when I'm gone! My original Mk3 from 1960 I will keep for sentimental reasons and the other Mk3 I will continue to use, at least until I get the Rothwell

#31:  Author: Dave HLocation: Blyth, Northumberland PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 pm
    —
I am assured that the quality of these will be identical to John Olivers.The same tooling,the same specs.The performance will be the same as buying a brand new oliver,as that is what will occur.I am hinted at that they will be too expensive for Barton 15 as they will be produced to the original quality standards and that all production will be overseen by John himself.
This project is in early stages but I am told it should only be a short time before they become available.The first few have been completed for inspection by John already.
Pat,I tried to tip you off about this at the world cup when I was telling you someone had borrowed my Original mark 3 liner set Wink
Good luck to all concerned and lets all get our hands in our pockets to support a great british institution! Very Happy

#32:  Author: classicflyerLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:33 pm
    —
Oz VTR flyers will watch with much interest on what happens on the opposite side of the globe with the 21st Century Ollies.

One thing's for sure, the new generation Olivers will have to be even better than they once were. Engines like the R250 have set new benchmarks in quality and performance.

Over the years I've raced at least 1/2 dozen good Oliver Tiger Mk 3 (mod) engines in VTR models on 46'.8" lines, the best times with any of these original engines have been in the low 21's for 10 laps.

My R250's will easily beat these times by a full 2 seconds for 10 with better economy as well. So the point being made is using the same tooling to produce the same specs and performance as in the nineteen fifties is not going to 'cut the mustard' in Vintage Team Race today.

Gentleman, thanks to a very clever engineer in Sydney, Australia, the bar has now been raised. Very Happy

#33:  Author: StevoLocation: Somerset PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
    —
I hope the MkV is planned for production.
Steve

#34:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:29 am
    —
classicflyer wrote:
Oz VTR flyers will watch with much interest on what happens on the opposite side of the globe with the 21st Century Ollies.

One thing's for sure, the new generation Olivers will have to be even better than they once were.

So the point being made is using the same tooling to produce the same specs and performance as in the nineteen fifties is not going to 'cut the mustard' in Vintage Team Race today.

Gentleman, thanks to a very clever engineer in Sydney, Australia, the bar has now been raised. Very Happy

But folks are still buying Olivers and paying a hell of a lot for them.
They are in some instances paying more than the cost of the Rothwell. Why do they not just buy the Rothwell?
The new Olivers will of course be made on modern equipment so tolerances will be a lot better than on the old ones.
Someone told me that even with the Olivers that there were some very good and some rather mediocre. The modern equipment that will be used should mean that most if not all fall into the first category.

Whether the new Ollie raises the bar higher or not will remain to be seen. Laughing

Jim

#35:  Author: Terry McDonaldLocation: Derby PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:00 am
    —
When did I last fly an Oliver? Well I'm tending to answer when did I last fly anything with this appalling weather we've been having. But I flew my rebuilt 2.51cc Oliver in a horrid old profile biplane of my own design that i use as a test bed sometime this summer (so called) Since then not much of mine has taken to the air.

#36:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:53 am
    —
Terry, I think you told me that the winning model in VTR A, at this year's Nats, was powered by an engine that had an Tiger Mk3 top end and an R250 bottom end (or the other way round). Am I right?

The Sundell twins used the Mk 3 to achieve good results in FAI World and European championships right up to 1970. I doubt if any other engine was used competitively in F2c for as long a period as the Mk3. It was not until the mid 70s that times began to come down wholesale, with the widespread use of Bugls and Rossis. These were, of course, a different generation of engines to the Oliver. It is interesting to note that Stockton/Jehliks' times at the 72 World Champs were vastly inferior to the times achieved with their winning ETA powered model in 1966. Only the Russian teams produced significantly quicker times at the 72 World Champs, using their O/D engines

Patrick Hardy

#37:  Author: Pete_NELocation: Jarrow, Tyne and Wear PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:08 pm
    —
Patrick,
Terry, I think you told me that the winning model in VTR A, at this year's Nats, was powered by an engine that had an Tiger Mk3 top end and an R250 bottom end (or the other way round). Am I right?

The Sundell twins used the Mk 3 to achieve good results in FAI World and European championships right up to 1970. I doubt if any other engine was used competitively in F2c for as long a period as the Mk3. It was not until the mid 70s that times began to come down wholesale, with the widespread use of Bugls and Rossis. These were, of course, a different generation of engines to the Oliver. It is interesting to note that Stockton/Jehliks' times at the 72 World Champs were vastly inferior to the times achieved with their winning ETA powered model in 1966. Only the Russian teams produced significantly quicker times at the 72 World Champs, using their O/D engines

in 1966 we had 10cc tanks. In 1972 6 cc. In my experience it was a lot easier to get/hold a setting on 10 cc than 6cc.

Pete

#38:  Author: Pete_NELocation: Jarrow, Tyne and Wear PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:08 pm
    —
Before the wrath of Barton descends upon me, I should have said 7 cc tanks instead of 6 cc in my reply to Patrick. Mea Culpa Advancing age my only excuse in confusing 1/2A & FAI TR rules.

Cheers,

Pete

#39:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:17 pm
    —
Thanks for that info Peter. I wondered when the change was made but I thought it might have been a bit later to counter the big reduction in times.

Patrick Hardy

#40:  Author: VTR President PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:20 pm
    —
I still say that the best Oliver Tigers to use and for reworking were the early Mark 111 with the sandcast case. I am inclined to believe that the sand cast case was less prone to stress than the diecast ones and as such once they were machined they stayed straight and true. The main function of a crankcase is to hold all the moving bits together. The front, centre and rear bearing must be as near concentric as possible and support the shaft dead square to the bore. Then they will go.
Incidentally I have just had a long phone chat with the guy that is making these motors and wished him all the best on behalf of the VTR SIG.
With the hindsight of modern metallurgy and the advantage of up to date machining technology I think they will be excellent.
VTR President

#41:  Author: VTR President PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:03 pm
    —
I have had the OK to make known the Person involved in the new manufacture of the Oliver Tiger.
His name is Tom Ridley and he owns and runs a company called Clint Hill Engineering. When I was in business doing Induction Heat Treatments I carried out processes on a good many thousands of parts he had machined. The quality was superb.
The new run of engines are to be made under the overview of and in cooperation of John Oliver himself and will initially carry on where J O left off. They will essentially be Mark 111 Tigers although the Mark1V and a Cub are also being looked at as well as Arne Hende's 0.5cc miniature.
Tom was in attendance at the AGM of the VTR SIG and a minute was recorded to wish him well with the new venture.
VTR President.

#42: Oliver Tiger production Author: SibbsieLocation: Chester PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm
    —
Best wishes to Tom in this new venture - I'm certain there will be no shortage of demand for a well produced British Mk III,
John.

#43:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:29 pm
    —
VTR President wrote:
I have had the OK to make known the Person involved in the new manufacture of the Oliver Tiger.
His name is Tom Ridley and he owns and runs a company called Clint Hill Engineering.

Better know on here as http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=746

Jim

#44:  Author: TimhLocation: Brigg, North Lincs England PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:39 pm
    —
Good luck Tom. Couldn't be in better hands.

Tim

#45:  Author: StevoLocation: Somerset PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:22 pm
    —
Can Tom give a rough indication on likely price and what the process to order will be.
Great news and good luck with the venture
Steve

#46:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 pm
    —
I would like to wish Tom luck too, although if the production is to mainly be Mk3s, in what way is this carrying on where JO left off?

Patrick Hardy

#47: Oliver Update Author: TommysliderLocation: Hinckley,Leicestershire PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:11 am
    —
Thanks to everyone who has wished us well, on this site and at the Bilston swapmeet ,where I spoke to many interested parties regarding this new and exciting venture.

Things are at a very early stage, but I feel that the starting point of production will be where John left off. I have spoken to a lot of people regarding the range of engines to be produced and it would make sense to continue production of established marques before moving on.

Therefore, due to the availability of existing castings, small production runs will be of the early MK3, late MK4, and limited numbers of late Majors. The Cub will also be featured in this run.

Prices and delivery dates have yet to be finalised. Please be patient whilst planning of methods, materials and final details are considered.

Thank you in anticipation

Tom Ridley

#48:  Author: JP PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 am
    —
hello Tom, I need a MK3 rebored. Is john still doing them or are you taking over?

Are you running off a batch of Mk3 crankcases?

#49:  Author: H walkerLocation: chester/cheshire PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 pm
    —
Hmm, a couple of MKV's would be nice Laughing

#50:  Author: JP PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:20 pm
    —
H walker wrote:

Not to the person that paid the £900? on ebay for one.

#51:  Author: H walkerLocation: chester/cheshire PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm
    —
I supose thats down to the rarity, a re-issue would be nice though. I wonder how many MK5 olivers have ever been used Rolling Eyes

#52:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 pm
    —
JP wrote:
H walker wrote:

Not to the person that paid the £900? on ebay for one.

That was as much as I had seen an engine fetch on eBay until last night, when a HP15 sold for over $3100.

Patrick Hardy

#53:  Author: classicflyerLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:12 am
    —
WOW!!! What a brave collector! Clap

#54:  Author: applehoneyLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:54 am
    —
$3150.51 .....

#55:  Author: Pronto PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:53 pm
    —
Pat Hardy wrote:

"That was as much as I had seen an engine fetch on eBay until last night, when a HP15 sold for over $3100."

And to think that I let mine go in the mid 70's for zilch!

JoeD

#56:  Author: Dave HLocation: Blyth, Northumberland PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:24 pm
    —
My old man flew one of his Mark 5's in Phantom speed at Peterborough a few years ago before letting it slip into someone's glass case for £750,couldn't resist the cash on a pension,still has the better one though!
Dave

#57:  Author: H walkerLocation: chester/cheshire PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 pm
    —
Dave, how did it compare to say a MK111 or 4 oliver?

#58:  Author: John Schoen PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:38 pm
    —
I remember an Aeromodeller report mentioning Mervyn Jones using a Mk V in diesel combat in the late '80s, so that makes at least two that have been used for their intended purpose. It would be great if there would be a re-issue, I would definitely buy one and use it too.

#59:  Author: Big GLocation: West Midlands PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm
    —
An engine worth £750 in Phantom Speed, for the love of Mike? Having a laugh, aren't you?

I recall Paul Bugl (an overheard conversation decades ago) saying that if 25% of the Bugl 15's he sold ended up actually in models, he'd be happy.
Mind you, he didn't help his cause by presenting his engines in beautiful rosewood (or similar) boxes. They just screamed, "Put me in a glass case - please!"

Having said that, I do wish Tom Ridley all the very best with his project, particularly in these tough times. I even took my 27 year-old Black Ghost out of its plastic bag tonight so I could tenderly turn over its well-oiled genuine and original Mk III Oliver complete with genuine and original Topflite prop...it felt goooood! Maybe tomorrow night I'll do likewise with my Chaos complete with genuine and original Mk IV Oliver....mmmm! One day I might even get out to fly the buggers again.

Funny how folks don't get so dewy-eyed over Eta's - I've made my (personal) feelings about these engines known previously on these boards. Yet I can remember back in the 1960's when the magazines crowed about the hey-day of the Oliver being over and done with, courtesy of the Eta 15. Hmmmm....yes.

Big G

#60: Post Subject Author: TommysliderLocation: Hinckley,Leicestershire PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:54 pm
    —
J.P.
I have spoken this evening with JSO , he does not intend doing any more commercial work himself.
I will be manufacturing new piston and liner sets (hard chromed) before offering a rebore service.
The foundry will be producing Mk 3 castings later this week.
The Mk 5 is still under discussion and is not ruled out.

More news later.

Regards Tom Ridley.

#61: Re: Post Subject Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 am
    —
Tommyslider wrote:
J.P.
I have spoken this evening with JSO , he does not intend doing any more commercial work himself.
I will be manufacturing new piston and liner sets (hard chromed) before offering a rebore service.

More news later.

Regards Tom Ridley.

Yes keep us informed Tom. This project is probably the most interesting thing to happen in control line/model engines for years. I am sure it will be a resounding success.

Jim

#62:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 pm
    —
John Schoen wrote:
I remember an Aeromodeller report mentioning Mervyn Jones using a Mk V in diesel combat in the late '80s, so that makes at least two that have been used for their intended purpose. It would be great if there would be a re-issue, I would definitely buy one and use it too.

When I was talking to Vernon Hunt at this year's Nats, he said he had been very unimpressed with the Mk5 that he acquired. I bet bet he wished he had hung on to it though.

Patrick Hardy

#63: Re: Post Subject Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:04 pm
    —
Tommyslider wrote:
J.P.

More news later.

Regards Tom Ridley.

Hello Tom

Will you be offering a spares service for items like nvas, prop nuts, etc? Also, will your rebore service be able to maintain the mods done to pistons on works mod versions?

Patrick Hardy

#64:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:30 pm
    —
We tached my Mk.5 some years ago, and it was within 200rpm. of my Bugl. Whether that was a good/bad example I regret I don't know.
Good luck in your venture Tom.

#65:  Author: Dave HLocation: Blyth, Northumberland PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 pm
    —
I wasn't at the Phantom speed event when this happened,i've seen the photo's,Les Pilgrim pitted so he may remember if it was any good.
I recall flying against Brian Waterland at P'boro in diesel combat back in the 80's,My MVVS D7 had the speed over his Mark V.
Big G,why not fly it,that is what it's for,our modern F2C gear costs more than that for a Sosnovsky powered Cobra with a Lerner tank,but I wouldn't put it in a glass case.I did put one in the tarmac at Dishforth earlier this year,are you of the opinion I should save them for posterity?
Dave

#66: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: TerryLocation: Birmingham PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 pm
    —
How does one order one of these off Tom Ridley?

Terry.

#67:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 am
    —
Well Tom is a member on here http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=746 so sending him a PM or email would work but Tom has not gone into production yet I think.
Select to watch this topic for latest news.

Jim

#68: Update Author: TommysliderLocation: Hinckley,Leicestershire PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 pm
    —
We would like to let you know how much we appreciate all the warm and positive comments already received,also, that the finished product will maintain the tradition of the John Oliver Engine we have all come to admire.

Our position at this time is such that we have part machined late Mk1V, Mk11 Major, and Cub crankcases.Mark111 castings are work in progress at the foundry.

As all other components are manufactured and completed, spares will be available. Our aim will be to support all existing Olivers out there and enable them to be brought back to their original condition.

There is much interest in the MKV, of which we shall be making a small batch. We have already received orders for this model.
Anyone wishing to purchase any of the marques , please, in the first instance, email me at tom.ridley@clinthill.co.uk This will enable me to determine initial batch quantities.

PC110055.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.25 KB
 Viewed:  6717 Time(s)

PC110055.JPG

#69:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm
    —
In the words of Time Team's Phil Harding.....
"Cor, Look at thaaaaaaaaat!".
I think I detect some pavlovian drooling beginning.
Prospective pricing on engines including the Mk Vs is going to occur when (or did I miss that)?

These engines being original then, how about selling a few at original prices (just to our membership)...he suggests coyly (hoping for a deal)?

Yus, even in the colonies in dead of winter we have the sense of humour.

#70: Addendum- Pricing Author: TommysliderLocation: Hinckley,Leicestershire PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:46 pm
    —
The use of the email address previously given, can be used as a guide of sales interest, thus helping with the pricing structure of the engines.We need to ensure a viable and economic cost.

I feel that the MKV is a stand alone engine, as there was no original casting die for this marque.Should there be sufficient interest, a die could be produced with the aim of further improvement on the original design, from it's basic form.

I will contact JSO within the next few days to discuss pricing and get his views, being mindful that we need to be competitive with modern day equivalents.

#71:  Author: H walkerLocation: chester/cheshire PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:21 am
    —
A MK5 that goes like a nelson Laughing

#72: Mark V's Author: theoilyoneLocation: Bridgnorth PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 am
    —
I just noticed an Original Mark V went used/new for £800 GBP on E bay, I have been buying New CS Oliver Tigers tuned with mods for between £86 and £96 including shipping from USA. Is that cheap or expensive?

7075 Conrod, Chrome Cylinder Liner, Modified Crankshaft, Timing & Ports.

There are so many engines about at the moment from USA, China and Russia, that I wonder how successful these resurrected OT engines will be, everyone has been telling me to buy the Rothwell and probably rightly so.

I would like to get the Originals as when I was a boy I could never afford an ollie or a tuned PAW and made do with AM25's which basically were U.S.

It is good news but I doubt P.A.W. will be that pleased. I think C/L will have a resurgence now so many ex C/L flyers are retiring like myself and coming back to the sport. I have given my son all my electric fly RC models and equipment.

Hard to say why I have left RC flying but really it is for people with very deep pockets especially now Combat and Pylon Racing are taking off over here in the UK.

i'll take four anyway as long as the cost is compatible with a CS.

#73:  Author: Pronto PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:36 am
    —
Stephen,

You wrote 'as long as the cost is compatible with a CS'.

This is a bit much to expect...quality engineering costs whether it comes from eastern Europe, the US or anywhere else for that matter. Assuming that the intended purpose is for team racing, the acid test will be how the CS's you speak of compare against the Rothwell's in the air. I believe that it is for this reason - high quality engineering at a price - that the Oliver became so famous all those years ago.....nothing could touch it for performance in t/r for many years.

I'm delighted to learn that you've found c/l again as I have too. As one might expect, its moved on from earlier times with lots of classes to suit different pockets and talents - and much more information sharing than I ever recall back in the so called 'good old days' - largely due to sites like Barton!

Good luck in your endeavours,

JoeD

#74:  Author: TimhLocation: Brigg, North Lincs England PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:56 pm
    —
I tried this last year.

I was in a guitar shop and fell in love with a veryverylovely yank custom shop job. After annoying the owner for half an hour I suggested to him that if he'd do it at the same price as the crappy chinese copy which after all, looked the same from 200 yards, I'd take it off his hands.

I think his second word was "off"

Tim

#75: Same Old Same Old Author: theoilyoneLocation: Bridgnorth PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:17 am
    —
Trouble is they are not inferior.

#76:  Author: TimhLocation: Brigg, North Lincs England PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:19 pm
    —
Hmm, not many people would agree with that.

Tim

#77: glass case brigade Author: Legion PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:50 pm
    —
i run a fleet of PAW's and AM's....... all slightly modified externaly, which make them of no use for collectors. collectors only need the external castings ..flyers need the whole engine.

i have seen 'vintage' motorbikes at shows with no engine internals winning the concours compitition without even running... the 'glass case' brigade exist in many areas.....

#78:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:33 am
    —
Well, the first examples should be being delivered about now. Any reports, or pictures yet?

Smile

#79: Sort of... Author: choppersimonLocation: Warwickshire PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:34 pm
    —
Just back from Tommy's, seen the mini Tiger cranks being finish ground, seen LOADS of boxes of bits, Tigers, Cubs, Minis, Majors, let's face it the man is even working Sunday evenings to do them, JSO is involved all the way and nothing will go out 'till he's happy, but it's all coming along fine. Can't wait.

Seen some pretty impressive "other" stuff too...anything more and I'd have to kill you.

Chop.

#80: Re: Sort of... Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:31 am
    —
choppersimon wrote:

Seen some pretty impressive "other" stuff too...anything more and I'd have to kill you.

Chop.

It's not a powerful plain bearing 19 is it Twisted Evil

It could be called a T320

(Sorry Steve Wink)

#81:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 pm
    —
Thought you might like to take a look at the first Oliver MK 4 to come off the production line. Next to it is not a cub but a 0.5cc miniature motor.
Tom tells me that he already has orders for 300 Olivers so those that have been thinking about one maybe wait no longer but get their order in.

Aren't they the bees knees?

Jim

Last edited by admin on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

tiger2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.01 KB
 Viewed:  6838 Time(s)

tiger2.jpg

tigers.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.2 KB
 Viewed:  6913 Time(s)

tigers.JPG

#82:  Author: TimhLocation: Brigg, North Lincs England PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:58 pm
    —
Looks great.

Tim

#83:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:07 pm
    —
Sniff!

The nostalgia is palpable....even from here. Sort of like seeing a restored Spitfire take to the air again.

Where's that eMail addy for Mr Ridley.

#84:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:23 pm
    —
Tommyslider http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=746
You can PM or Email Tom from that profile page.

Jim

#85:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:51 pm
    —
Bootiful. I get a number of enquiries as to whether I intend to produce a Mk.4 repro. I always say no, because I had the impression that they still used to emerge from the JO workshop. I can now tell these people where to go! (In the most constructive way of course).

#86:  Author: Big GLocation: West Midlands PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 pm
    —
Two things about Olivers I never understood:

1] why was the top surface of the mounting-lugs angled downwards in a way guaranteed to bend your mounting-bolts;

2] why did the Mk 4 have differently-spaced mounting-holes compared with the Mk 3?

Big G

#87:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:43 pm
    —
Big G wrote:
Two things about Olivers I never understood:

1] why was the top surface of the mounting-lugs angled downwards in a way guaranteed to bend your mounting-bolts;

2] why did the Mk 4 have differently-spaced mounting-holes compared with the Mk 3?

Big G

I guess the answer to the first question is: so they could get it out of the mould. Olivers were no worse than a lot of other manufacturers in this regard. eg Burford.

My mk3's have the top of the lugs machined as well since they were used in TR. I understand that this was an option.

I didn't know that the mk3 and 4 had different mount spacing. I guess that means that there's no point in getting the latter to fit to a model built for the mk3 then. Bugger!

Smile

#88:  Author: AusBrentLocation: Newcastle Australia PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 am
    —
locktite401 wrote:

I didn't know that the mk3 and 4 had different mount spacing. I guess that means that there's no point in getting the latter to fit to a model built for the mk3 then. Bugger!

Smile

I'm sure the mounting holes in your glass cabinet will be close enough Ray..... Rolling Eyes

Brent

#89:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 pm
    —
I have mounted Mk3s and Mk4s into the same model many times. The difference that had to be allowed for is that the width of the crankcase on the Mk3 is wider but the bolt holes were basically the same spacing. I have an old model that was made for a Mk4 and I had to trim the edge of the bearers a little to get a Mk3 in but, on alloy plates, it bolts in with no difficulty.

Patrick Hardy

#90:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:37 am
    —
The Underwoods had a pre-production Mk.4 Tiger of the new production at Old Warden last w/e. Felt absolutely superb. Didn't think to ask if any rev checks have been done.

#91:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:27 am
    —
It seems the Rothwell R320 (plain bearing 19 in an Oliver casing) may be dead in the water. No doubt many of the vintage combat brigade will be pretty disappointed about that, esp those who actually ordered them.

I wonder if Tom would have any way of making them Wink (legendary UK engineering skills and all that)

#92:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 am
    —
Johninchester wrote:

I wonder if Tom would have any way of making them Wink (legendary UK engineering skills and all that)

Hmmm, he'd no doubt recognise the same difficulties straight off Smile

I'm looking forward to those mk4's going into production, I'll have one of those Exclamation

Ray

#93:  Author: MartLocation: Nottinghamshire, UK PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:13 am
    —
Johninchester wrote:
It seems the Rothwell R320 (plain bearing 19 in an Oliver casing) may be dead in the water. No doubt many of the vintage combat brigade will be pretty disappointed about that, esp those who actually ordered them.

John,
Have you got positive proof that the Rothwell320 is
Quote:
dead in the water
, you say 'it seems'.
If not, then I would hold that remark.
I would say, Steve will in time sort the problem out, I know he is a good engineer by looking at his motorbike side of his business.

Also I have asked Tom to make a 320 oliver engine earlier this year and he declined. So I purchased several crankcases from him.
Later in the year I stated that I would make a 320 engine, this was conveyed to the CFA Mick Lewis.
Now I have PAW19s that are on par with the existing R320 and other engines I will push the 320 MK-OLE out earlier now.
But I've yet to improve the top end of my PAW19's just yet, god help us!
And I've still improve on my flying from the 3 years back waters of toe dipping Combat.

So, I'm still hoping for a Rothwell320 until Steve says 'no can do'.

Mart.

#94:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:32 am
    —
Mart wrote:

John,
Have you got positive proof that the Rothwell320 is
Quote:
dead in the water
, you say 'it seems'.
If not, then I would hold that remark.

No "proof" - I was just working from a post that Steve put up on here recently. Of course boats that are "dead in the water" can often be brought back to life Smile

Mart wrote:
I would say, Steve will in time sort the problem out, I know he is a good engineer by looking at his motorbike side of his business.

I am sure you are right there, his reputation is very good I know.

Mart wrote:
Also I have asked Tom to make a 320 oliver engine earlier this year and he declined. So I purchased several crankcases from him. Later in the year I stated that I would make a 320 engine, this was conveyed to the CFA Mick Lewis.

That's interesting, I hope it goes according to plan.

Mart wrote:
I've still improve on my flying from the 3 years back waters of toe dipping Combat.

All this is just blog talk for me as I do not fly this type of gear in comps Embarassed I just have an accedemic interest.

I will be having a go at the Oliver combat at the BASH this year though Shocked with my best Olly ( and a CS as backup )

Ah, neatly back on topic Smile

#95:  Author: MartLocation: Nottinghamshire, UK PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 am
    —
Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject.

So this is, all blog!
Hopefully not bologs.
Very Happy Laughing

I'll see you at Barton on Saturday if is not raining too hard.
Definitely be there Sunday rain or shine.
If you want any help just shout.

Mart.

#96: Mk 4 Tiger Author: JohninTexasLocation: Houston, Texas USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:01 pm
    —
Well, I ordered (at least I think I did!) one of the Mk4 Tiggies. Let us see how it runs and drives and such when it arrives!

John

#97:  Author: Terry McDonaldLocation: Derby PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:11 pm
    —
I've just returned from the South Bristol Gala and Tom Ridley had some of his engines to show Mk III, Mk IV and Mk V Tigers and a 0.5cc micro Tiger Mk III - it was a real little duck, I could have kissed it! The standard of finish is as good if not better than the originals. When asked are they as good as a Rothwell Tom said they are no better or worse than a new Oliver of 40 years ago and not as far improved as the R250s. But these are all done with JSO's original tooling and dies and with his approval of all machining stages. obviously with the use of modern 3 axis CNC machines the production of the parts is done much quicker and with better repeatability. Trouble is there is a waiting list for them so get your order in now.

#98:  Author: JohninTexasLocation: Houston, Texas USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
    —
Terry McDonald wrote:
I've just returned from the South Bristol Gala and Tom Ridley had some of his engines to show Mk III, Mk IV and Mk V Tigers and a 0.5cc micro Tiger Mk III - it was a real little duck, I could have kissed it! The standard of finish is as good if not better than the originals. When asked are they as good as a Rothwell Tom said they are no better or worse than a new Oliver of 40 years ago and not as far improved as the R250s. But these are all done with JSO's original tooling and dies and with his approval of all machining stages. obviously with the use of modern 3 axis CNC machines the production of the parts is done much quicker and with better repeatability. Trouble is there is a waiting list for them so get your order in now.

Olies are a habit hard to break. The last ones I ordered from the UK back in 1974 or '75 were the Mk 4 Combat Tiger with the cutaway exhaust collector and chrome bore. I paid US $125 for the pair shipping included. I only wish now I had been wise enough to have hung onto them (SOB!)...
And, yes, I have ordered a new Mk 4.

John

"We get too soon old and too late smart".

Old German proverb

PS: And best of all, they are British made.

#99:  Author: TimhLocation: Brigg, North Lincs England PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm
    —
Just in case there's a few of you out there that I haven't bored to death about the new Mark 4 Olly.....

I got one a few weeks ago, opened the box, bolted it in a model. Took it to Scampton and gave it a run for 5 mins after the combat had finished. No problems, its an Olly, but I needed to get as close as I could to 12500 revs for oliver combat so I put a taco ( not a fajita) on it and got anywhere between 12100 and 12300. Pretty good but I didn't get chance to fly it.

So, Nats weekend, straight into oliver combat, no test flight cos i hate flying in the wind, using my normal fuel, 25% oil and the stiffest heaviest tornado prop I could find, hey presto 12,300 rpm.

Flew it in three bouts, it behaved impeccably, never missed a beat, started fine, its an Olly. Straight out of the box its as good as anything anyone else was using.

This is my kind of engine, open box, bolt into model, go fly.

Brilliant engines chaps. You all need one.

Tim

#100:  Author: Dave HLocation: Blyth, Northumberland PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 pm
    —
Quote:
This is my kind of engine, open box, bolt into model, go fly.

Brilliant engines chaps. You all need one.

Tim

No Tim,you need 2!One spare in case you bury one so that you can take it home and clean it lovingly!

Beautiful engines,I just wish it hadn't been too windy to race the schnuerle cub 1/2A team racer.
Well done Mr Tommyslider!

#101:  Author: bpLocation: Adelaide, Australia PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:59 pm
    —
I got a new Mk4 a few weeks ago.
Into the test stand, fired on 3rd flick started on the 5th. Gorgeous motor to handle. I'm building a Black Ghost (thanks Vintage Freddo!!) to get some air time on it, pure nostalgia!!. Mine does about 13,400 on a Master Scimitar 8 x 6.
A really nice motor, well worth waiting nearly 50 years for!!
cheers
Bill Pudney
On the 2nd day of Spring, sunny in Adelaide

#102:  Author: raglafartLocation: East Bowral Australia PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:01 am
    —
I got my MK II Major a few weeks ago, just magic!
I'd always wanted an Oliver Major, looking to build the Scimitar for it.
Cheers JG

#103:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:30 am
    —
raglafart wrote:
Cheers JG

How about some pictures John?

Ray

#104:  Author: Big GLocation: West Midlands PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:39 am
    —
Bill,

here's a pic of my ancient Black Ghost + original Mk IV Olly. Watch the warps!!

Big G

Black Ghost 005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.87 KB
 Viewed:  5259 Time(s)

Black Ghost 005.jpg

#105:  Author: bpLocation: Adelaide, Australia PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:50 am
    —
Thanks Big G, for the photo, is the "Black Ghost" on the wing similar to the approved West Brom club logo?? If so I'll do a photo shop faff about with it and do my own waterslide.
cheers
bp
Cloudy with sunny breaks in Adelaide...about 17 degrees

#106:  Author: Big GLocation: West Midlands PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:27 am
    —
Bill,

I was in the West Brom MAC from about 1960 to 1963, when Mac Grimmett and Mike Kendrick were doing well in combat. However, I was never a member of the 'inner circle' of Black Ghost flyers, so never had access to the templates for the parts or the stencil for the logo. The logo on my model was copied free-hand from a photo and laboriously hand-painted onto the wing. It's fairly close to the genuine logo, but not 100% accurate. Feel free to use it!

If you build the wing per plan with 1/4" x 1/4" spruce spars and LE, choose the wood very carefully and web between the spars. The solid TE is best hand-shaped rather than use pre-shaped stock, which is rarely straight. Have fun carving the top-block!

Big G

#107:  Author: JohninTexasLocation: Houston, Texas USA PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:03 am
    —
Big G wrote:
Bill,

I was in the West Brom MAC from about 1960 to 1963, when Mac Grimmett and Mike Kendrick were doing well in combat. However, I was never a member of the 'inner circle' of Black Ghost flyers, so never had access to the templates for the parts or the stencil for the logo. The logo on my model was copied free-hand from a photo and laboriously hand-painted onto the wing. It's fairly close to the genuine logo, but not 100% accurate. Feel free to use it!

If you build the wing per plan with 1/4" x 1/4" spruce spars and LE, choose the wood very carefully and web between the spars. The solid TE is best hand-shaped rather than use pre-shaped stock, which is rarely straight. Have fun carving the top-block!

Big G

Dates to the late '50s, correct?

JAK

#108:  Author: Big GLocation: West Midlands PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:16 am
    —
I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but I think the Black Ghost was published in 'Model Aircraft' in 1957. Obviously the design goes back well before then. I think the 1960 and 1961 Nats were won by Mike Kendrick flying Ghosts.

They were still being flown long after everyone else had turned to Razor Blade-types, Peacemakers, etc.

Big G

#109:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:50 am
    —
Maybe going slightly off topic. Wink

Jim

#110:  Author: raglafartLocation: East Bowral Australia PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 am
    —
locktite401 wrote:
raglafart wrote:
Cheers JG

How about some pictures John?

Ray

Hi Ray
Digit dutifully extracted and here are the results! Laughing
Took it to the field last weekend and compared it to Steve's. The cylinder jacket is a good bit larger in diameter and the venturi is a different shape. It was also noted that the exhaust opening both in width and height was somewhat smaller than the original that Steve owned.
As this is destined for a KK Sceptre or a Scimitar I don't think this will worry it too much.
I'll build the model before I run it though!
Cheers John

Major-4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.63 KB
 Viewed:  6023 Time(s)

Major-4.JPG

Major-3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.59 KB

Major-3.JPG

Major-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.5 KB

Major-2.JPG

Major-1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.75 KB

Major-1.JPG

#111: Oliver Tranfers Author: "aud old git"Location: PRUDHOE NORTHUMBERLAND PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:42 am
    —
Lovely Motor but as expected

But what about that fantastic original "Oliver Powered Transfer"

Tom can make another fortune if they are available just think of the all the Oliver Powered Models World Wide just waiting to be suitably adorned

#112:  Author: bluepeterLocation: Hertfordshire PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:02 pm
    —
Hi John,

If my eyes are not deceiving me is that last digit a 6?

Here are a couple of my Major MKII serial # 817, rather close don't you think, considering you are in Sydney, me the UK - mines also destined for a KK Spectre

regards
Peter

Major MK II serial #.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.13 KB
 Viewed:  5854 Time(s)

Major MK II serial #.JPG

Major MKII #817.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.22 KB
 Viewed:  5854 Time(s)

Major MKII #817.JPG

#113:  Author: raglafartLocation: East Bowral Australia PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 am
    —
Hi Peter
Mine is indeed 816. It's still in the box at this stage. Getting ready for the weekend, club racing and slow combat.
Got a few other projects on the bench before I'll have a chance to start some running in.
Cheers John

#114: Ordering Author: ms08Location: Sandwich Kent PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:12 pm
    —
Are there any contact details for ordering - phone number etc.
I have tried e mailing but they seem to bounce back. I have now sent a PM in the hope that works.
Is there a waiting list?
Regards
Mike

#115:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:48 pm
    —
I know that Tom has been having problems with emails. You should get a reply through a PM from the Forum.

Is there a waiting list? Not surprisingly, the answer is yes but then there always was a waiting list for Olivers.

Patrick Hardy

#116:  Author: ms08Location: Sandwich Kent PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 am
    —
Thanks Patrick
Have now made contact and placed my order.
Regards
Mike

#117: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 pm
    —
I see the first of the new production Tigers has hit ebay (ebay#320483101901). Its a MkV and has already reached £310, seems like still many people unaware of the restart of Manufacturing and the current pricing.

Irvin

#118:  Author: ms08Location: Sandwich Kent PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:14 am
    —
I am expecting my new Mk IV to arrive in the post today and have a mark V on order to be delivered in a few a couple of weeks.
Mike

#119:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:24 am
    —
Peter & John,

Unless you have any objections, I have added your Major acquisitions to the Barton Engine Register.
PM me if you would like them to be deleted.

#120:  Author: bluepeterLocation: Hertfordshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:36 pm
    —
None what so ever Kevin.

As a matter of interest Irvin, what is the current list price for a MarkV from Tom.

Regards
Peter

#121: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:18 pm
    —
Peter
It is £205 plus shipping. I have run mine on the bench, very strange at first, it handles nothing like a MkIII or IV, not badly just different, not suprising when you think about it.

Irvin

#122: Re: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 pm
    —
felden wrote:
I see the first of the new production Tigers has hit ebay (ebay#320483101901). Its a MkV and has already reached £310, seems like still many people unaware of the restart of Manufacturing and the current pricing.

Irvin

A bit of entrepreneurship there then Twisted Evil

I suppose it is not "wrong" to do it, esp as you bypass the waiting list.

Looking at folks that have bought stuff from this seller in the past, there is at least 1 name I recognise Shocked

I can't wait to see the reply to the previous post re how much they are off Tom !

Mind you, I suppose all is fair in love and war and Tom himself could maximise profits by listing them on there too Surprised

#123:  Author: ms08Location: Sandwich Kent PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:44 pm
    —
Quote:
It is £205 plus shipping. I have run mine on the bench, very strange at first, it handles nothing like a MkIII or IV, not badly just different, not suprising when you think about it.

Prices have just been revised for new orders - Mk V is now £300, Mk IV - £185.

Kevin
Will PM you the serial numbers of my new engine plus my old Mk IV

Mike

#124:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:07 pm
    —
Thanks Mike.

FWIW...In an eMail today, I got the current 2010 pricing from Tom & Julie

Oliver Engines
Mk 111 (short or long) £185.00
Mk 1V £185.00
Mk V £300.00
Mk11 Major £195.00
Mk11 Cub £185.00
Schneurle Cub £195.00

All prices are GBP and subject to P&P.

T&J are off for a few days to France for a bit of a holiday......so don't be suirprised if there's no immediate reply to contact attempts.

Dunno about that Mk V price?????

#125: Price and news update. Author: TommysliderLocation: Hinckley,Leicestershire PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 pm
    —
From previous posts I thought it best to inform all, of prices for 2010.
I have put prices above the initial launch estimate, to a workable level but not to the figures that JSO would have me charge.
This is with the exception of the MKV which I feel will be a one off batch- as was John's
More than half of the quantity of 65 have been ordered.
At this time I cannot envisage making more to the same spec.
I am still working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is due also to to the nano positioning (similar to micrometer components) side of the business, increasing in turn over.
I would like to thank all who have placed orders, for their patience and understanding, in what has become a very important part of my life.
I speak to John by phone every 3 or 4 nights and visit him 1 day every month. Some of the machining is still done on the machines in Ferndown, I cannot decsribe the feeling I have when working next to John.
The prices that Kevin has posted are correct. Spares have increased to a similar degree. If you would like all prices, email me at tom.ridley@clinthill.co.uk
Honoured and privileged
Tom.

#126:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:52 pm
    —
Just as easy to post the Spares Pricing here to alleviate some email traffic for Tom. Unless there are last minute corrections, here they are;

Spares charges

Rebore on Customer's Engine £40.00
• Backplate £9.50
• Cylinder Assy £45.00
(liner, piston, gudeon pin, contra piston,

Chrome bore as standard)
• Piston and Pin £12.00
• NVA £ 9.00
• Prop Driver £ 7.50
• Collet £ 5.50
• Crankshaft £44.00
• Prop Nuts £ 5.50
• Venturi £ 8.50
• Conrod £15.00
• Gaskets £ 1.00
• Cylinder Head £18.50
• Not Schneurle or MK V
• Bearings £15.00 (2)
• Head Bolt Sets £ 8.00
• Comp Screw £ 6.00
• Steel Washer £ 1.00
• Muffler £16.50
• Gudgeon Pin £ 6.50

Modifying of Engines £40.00
(does not apply to Sch.Cub or MKV)

#127:  Author: TommysliderLocation: Hinckley,Leicestershire PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 am
    —
Please note that all engines and spares ordered before Jan2010 will be charged at the pre-increase price.
Best regards Tom.

#128: Re: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:03 pm
    —
felden wrote:

Irvin

The auction finished today and it didn't go much higher, reaching only £360, which must be the lowest price a MkV has sold for on eBay, by a long way.

Patrick Hardy

#129: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:25 pm
    —
Patrick
At £360, it will in hindsight be a good price, if as Tom says there will probably only be a single batch of 65. You must be glad you bought one.

Irvin

#130:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 am
    —
My nice new shiny mk4 arrived first thing monday morning. Serial T8996. It's a user, not for the glass cabinet.

I was able to put a half litre of fuel through it today and I'd say it's ready to go into the air now. A pleasant, easy to use motor as expected.

The plan is to put into my son's vintage combat model.

Thumbnail, click to enlarge.

#131:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 pm
    —
If it is going in a combat model Ray, I would recommend fitting a collector ring to it. It does provide protection in the event of a collision with the ground.

Patrick Hardy

#132: Re: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm
    —
felden wrote:
Patrick
At £360, it will in hindsight be a good price, if as Tom says there will probably only be a single batch of 65. You must be glad you bought one.

Irvin

Yes, I am glad I have one Irvin but I won't be looking to profit from it. I am much more interested in having something of the heritage of aeromodelling.

Patrick Hardy

#133:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:36 pm
    —
Looks good Ray. Did you happen to have a tach handy when you were running it?
Please say prop size and fuel used too.
Enquiring minds etc.....

#134:  Author: raglafartLocation: East Bowral Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 pm
    —
APC 8 5 at a guess?

#135:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 pm
    —
Dear all,

the prop was an APC 7x6, although I'll probably start with an 8 x 5 in the Anduril (vintage combat model). I do have a collector ring from a mk 3 OT, I wonder if it would fit?

Kev, I didn't bother with the tacho since it's still in the slightly rich and slightly undercompressed mode of running in. Fuel was 25% Castrol M, 30% ether, 45% kero with 13ml of IPN added to the mixed litre of fuel. I'll drop the oil 5% shortly and add a similar volume to the kero.

It has very pleasant handling characteristics, usually first or second flick starts. Yesterday was above 30 degrees C with considerable humidity and it was occasionally starting backwards. There is a thread of thought that this is a good sign in a new motor, good p/l fit and all that!

Summing up, it's all I expected.

Ray

#136:  Author: AusBrentLocation: Newcastle Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:04 pm
    —
...not to mention that besides all that it's just plain gorgeous Wink

#137: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:35 pm
    —
Kevin
I have run in my MkIV Serial No "T8951" and it did 16,200 on an APC 7*6, using Model Technics D2000 (24% Castor). As a reference my Rothwell did 16,600 on the same. It had my Oliver style Tuning done before running in.

Irvin

#138:  Author: Peter JonesLocation: Norfolk, UK PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 pm
    —
good to hear that your new MarkIV is just shy of the Rothwell 250 but what mods did you make to your new motor?
Peter

#139:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 pm
    —
Modding one of Tom & Johns brand new Olivers Shocked

Would have been fun to do a side by side test with 2, one modded and one standard Smile

As a matter of idle curiosity, has anyone else got RPM figures from one of the new ones on same prop and fuel ?
Quote:
APC 7*6, using Model Technics D2000

#140:  Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 pm
    —
John
Out of interest, I did several tests on the same day same prop and fuel. I feel that the Rothwell has more to go as each group of runs it gets better. The mods to the MkIV were basically as JSO used to do, it is however the strongest running MkIV that I have had, MOD, Copeman or standard.

Irvin

Oliver Tiger Rothwell R250 16600
Oliver Tiger Replica MKIII Rustler 16400
Oliver Tiger MkIII (Chrome Liner) 16300
OLIVER TIGER MKIV TOM RIDLEY 16200
Oliver Tiger MkIII MOD 15500
Oliver Tiger MkIII 15500
Oliver Tiger Replica CS CHROME COX Venturi 15300

#141:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 pm
    —
Those are very interesting figures Irvin, particularly from the Rustler Mk 3 and the range of results from the Oliver Mk 3s, with the MOD doing no better than a standard engine.

The Rustler performance is particularly interesting, given that I have heard very little other than mediocre reports about these engines before. I did ask in the Forum some time ago whether any VTR teams had ever used a Rustler Tiger but it seems they are not rated as good enough. I assume it is the tuned version that you have Irvin?

Patrick Hardy

#142: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:42 pm
    —
Patrick
Yes the Rustler is a tuned version. I have always found these very good motors, the .8cc cub is also excellent.
The Mod MkIII was recently re-bored by JSO so is yet to get back to peak.
Somewhat similarly for the Chrome bore MkIII. It came in an FAI racer from Germany and surprised me with its performance, although hot restarts were poor. I sent it to JSO and he made a new piston and lapped it in, could not re-bore as he had no Chroming facility then, fortunately the cylinder was not out of round. It is a sandcast MkIII and I suspect that the Cylinder originally was a MkIV with bored out MkIII fins. A little Gem.

Irvin

#143:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:29 pm
    —
I don't know if my Rustler OT mk3 is a tuned version. It had a rectangular c/s conrod and a square shaped shaft induction port however, and is a very strong runner.

Haven't tried it on a APC 7x6 yet but in a DGY it's doing 28/10, as good as a strong OT mod. engine

The R250 mk1 now rebuilt as a mk2 does 16800 rpm on the APC 7x6 (small venturi) and 27/10 in an equivalent model.

#144:  Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 pm
    —
Quote:
I don't know if my Rustler OT mk3 is a tuned version. It had a rectangular c/s conrod and a square shaped shaft induction port however, and is a very strong runner.

Ray, my Rustler Mk3 rep is a tuned one, has a chrome bore, mod. timing and a rectangular cross section rod.
Sorry, no RPM figures available (but we could get some next time I'm over your way)
I think you've got lucky! Very Happy

#145:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:25 pm
    —
The few hundred RPM differences between various incarnations of Oliver Tigers and replicas can often be explained by also considering their different venturi choke sizes. They all respond very well to a larger hole. So a good mod mk3 with a small hole might be a few hundred RPM down on another standard OT with a much large one.

It has been common practice to bore out the standard venturi's for increased RPM and range in local events for example. Most replaced the standard OT or CS offering with either a Cox 09 or later an R250, or a combination of both. R250 venturi's range between 3.6 to 4.2mm and some run them even larger. They can be bored to 4.8mm. The stock Cox is smaller but is easily bored out, and it has extra "bling" value.

My point is that venturi size is important and needs to be considered when comparing various engines.

Last edited by locktite401 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

#146:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:39 am
    —
locktite401 wrote:

Haven't tried it on a APC 7x6 yet but in a DGY it's doing 28/10, as good as a strong OT mod. engine

The R250 mk1 now rebuilt as a mk2 does 16800 rpm on the APC 7x6 (small venturi) and 27/10 in an equivalent model.

From what I can recall Ian Russell telling me, the tuned Rustlers have a T prefix before the serial number.

Patrick Hardy

#147:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:23 am
    —
machika wrote:

From what I can recall Ian Russell telling me, the tuned Rustlers have a T prefix before the serial number.

Patrick Hardy

As near as I can tell it's T89041. This was the ebay purchase we discussed a while ago Patrick. It was NIB out of the US, however out of the box it lacked any gap between the front bearing housing and the propdriver. This prevented it turning over smoothly. I'd guess that a previous owner had tried an electric starter on it. It just needed the rear bearing to be drifted back into position.

Thumbnail, click to enlarge.

#148: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:00 pm
    —
My Rustler MkIII Serial No is TA89011, also my Rustler Tiger MkI replica is TA026.

Irvin

#149:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:55 pm
    —
That raises a bit of a query then Irvin, as I wouldn't have thought the Mk1 would have been offered in standard and tuned versions.

Perhaps Ian could clarify the situation?

Patrick Hardy

#150:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm
    —
machika wrote:
That raises a bit of a query then Irvin, as I wouldn't have thought the Mk1 would have been offered in standard and tuned versions.

Patrick Hardy

Indeed, it looks to me that the "T" is just a continuation of the Oliver tradition and represents "Tiger" rather than "Tuned". Any other markings on your engine Patrick?

Ray

#151:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:20 pm
    —
One genuine Tiger numbering was AT, - Aircraft Type. As a tribute to the original engine (and to avoid any confusion) my numbering is similar but different, TA, - Type Aircraft.

My Tuned engines are simply T - Tuned. If one of my engines is numbered TA but has square rod and is chromed, somehow a standard engine has ended up with tuned innards.

My ABC engines are numbered G, for Gold. Couldn't think of anything else.

At one time I supplied square inake shafts in some std. engines because I had run out of std. shafts.

Don't underestimate a Rustler! At one time my standard engines were getting over the 12k rpm limit for a combat class, around 12300, with tuned ones 800 - 1000 faster than that.

#152: Re: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 pm
    —
felden wrote:
My Rustler MkIII Serial No is TA89011, also my Rustler Tiger MkI replica is TA026.

Irvin

So your Rustler Mk 3 should be a standard engine then Irvin. Have you had a look inside it?

Patrick Hardy

#153: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 pm
    —
Thanks for that Ian. Looks like my Rustler MkIII may not be tuned after all. I purchased from someone who claimed it was. Maybe I will investigate out of curiosity, although performance is fine either way.

Irvin

#154:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:43 pm
    —
locktite401 wrote:
machika wrote:

Patrick Hardy

Indeed, it looks to me that the "T" is just a continuation of the Oliver tradition and represents "Tiger" rather than "Tuned". Any other markings on your engine Patrick?

Ray

Well Ray, I have two Rustler Mk 3s and one was bought as tuned direct from Ian, the other from Barton Model Products. I think the second is also tuned, with just the T prefix (as Ian has confirmed) but I will check it.

Patrick Hardy

#155:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm
    —
machika wrote:
locktite401 wrote:
machika wrote:

Patrick Hardy

Ray

Well Ray, I have two Rustler Mk 3s and one was bought as tuned direct from Ian, the other from Barton Model Products. I think the second is also tuned, with just the T prefix (as Ian has confirmed) but I will check it.

Patrick Hardy

Yes, I see my mistake. The TA prefix indicates a standard motor while just a T in front of the serial number indicates a tuned version. That makes mine tuned then.

Ray

#156:  Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:31 am
    —
Quote:
Yes, I see my mistake. The TA prefix indicates a standard motor while just a T in front of the serial number indicates a tuned version. That makes mine tuned then.

Yup, that checks out - mine is T89031 - if yours is T89041, how about that Exclamation

#157:  Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:42 am
    —
alanm wrote:
Quote:

Yup, that checks out - mine is T89031 - if yours is T89041, how about that Exclamation

Yep. made on the opposite side of the world, sent to different ends of the earth, now just a few miles apart as the crow flies Smile

#158:  Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:53 am
    —
Quote:
mine is T89031 - if yours is T89041,

Since I don't really believe there've been 89 thousand made, I wonder if Ian would care to enlighten us on the numbering system ?

#159:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 am
    —
For Rustlers, the last three numbers are the engine no. The first two are to help me keep track of things.

No Tuned Mk.1's were made, by JAO or me. Only about 40 genuine Aircraft Mk.1's were made.

#160:  Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am
    —
thanks Ian

#161:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 pm
    —
I have just checked Rustler Tiger Mk 3 that I bought from Barton Model Products and it is a tuned version, serial number T89018, so an early version. It has socket head bolts too, not the usual cheese head variety.

Is there any significance to the choice of 89 in the serial number Ian?

Patrick Hardy

#162: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:16 pm
    —
I checked inside my Rustler MkIII TA89011. It has a square section rod, looks like chrome liner and also circlips on the gudgeon pin which the paperwork differentiates the tuned from the standard. Also the paperwork and box label says No T 89011 (no A).
So on balance it seems like a tuned version despite the serial no on the engine.

Irvin

#163:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:14 pm
    —
I should have said - the absolute distinguishing mark on all my motors is my logo, stamped under one lug. This to make clear it is not an original for people who might not know.

#164:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm
    —
As a matter of interest Ian, is the ABC version of your Tiger Mk 3 ever likely to be available again?

Patrick Hardy

#165:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 pm
    —
machika wrote:
As a matter of interest Ian, is the ABC version of your Tiger Mk 3 ever likely to be available again? Patrick Hardy

In stock. £145 + post.

#166:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:05 pm
    —
rustler wrote:
machika wrote:
As a matter of interest Ian, is the ABC version of your Tiger Mk 3 ever likely to be available again? Patrick Hardy

In stock. £145 + post.

£40 cheaper than Toms then Shocked

silence

Now who is going to buy 1 of each and do a back to back test thought

#167: Then again... Author: choppersimonLocation: Warwickshire PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 pm
    —
Johninchester wrote:
rustler wrote:
machika wrote:

In stock. £145 + post.

£40 cheaper than Toms then Shocked

silence

Now who is going to buy 1 of each and do a back to back test thought

And a hundred more than a CS.

Ian has them in stock. Hmmm.

You pays your money...

Chop.

#168:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 pm
    —
See the results from Irvin's (felden) recent performance comparison Simon. Probably a better bet than a CS straight out of the box.

Patrick Hardy

#169:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:18 pm
    —
Are your iron/steel Tiger Mk 3s still out of stock Ian? Could you post a list of your current stock on here Ian?

Patrick Hardy

#170: Again Author: choppersimonLocation: Warwickshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 pm
    —
machika wrote:

See the results from Irvin's (felden) recent performance comparison Simon. Probably a better bet than a CS straight out of the box.

Patrick Hardy

You pays your money...

Simon.

#171:  Author: VTR President PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 pm
    —
Is the ABC Tiger legal for combat? It isn't for VTR.
VTR Pres.

#172:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:46 pm
    —
I don't think it is legal for vintage combat Dave. Would it be legal for Classic 15? It could be worth a try if it is.

Patrick Hardy

#173:  Author: rustler PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 pm
    —
machika wrote:
Are your iron/steel Tiger Mk 3s still out of stock Ian? Could you post a list of your current stock on here Ian? Patrick Hardy

I do have parts for Std., Tuned, and ABC Rustler Tigers in stock. £110, £145, and £145, all + post.

Also parts for Mk.1's and Mk.2's, £145 and £110, + post.

I'm hoping for Mk.5's around Aug/Sep, £150 + pp.

I don't do Mk.4's .....yet.

I'll try for a complete list when Jim returns, unless I can manage it in the meantime.

#174:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 pm
    —
A standard Rustler Mk 3 for £110, which is pretty good really, given the performance that Irvin has extracted from his Rustler. A better comparison with the CS Tiger then Simon, which I don't think you would get for £45 at current exchange rates.

Patrick Hardy

#175: Oliver Author: SibbsieLocation: Chester PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 am
    —
My schneurle Cub arrived this morning, lots of fondling and drooling going on.
This one will NOT be appearing on ebay any time soon, and will get used!!!
John.

#176:  Author: lawrence courtLocation: BOLTON PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 pm
    —
Mine arrived this morning too

#177:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:23 am
    —
Snipped from the Yahoo C/L forum

Quote:
I am about to produce a limited number of replicas of the Oliver Tiger 2.5cc diesel which was a hugely popular engine for C/L in the sixties and seventies. Likely price around $200 per unit. This will be a quality product manufactured in the UK.
Anyone interested?

I attach a file to whet your appetite. Can you see which one is the original?

Paul Ellis Ellis Engines Ltd.

Shocked Shocked

#178:  Author: MIKE N PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:30 am
    —
Why buy a replica when you can buy real one from Tom.

#179:  Author: adminLocation: Darwen Lancashire (N.W. UK) PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:43 am
    —
Johninchester wrote:
Snipped from the Yahoo C/L forum

Quote:
I am about to produce a limited number of replicas of the Oliver Tiger 2.5cc diesel which was a hugely popular engine for C/L in the sixties and seventies. Likely price around $200 per unit. This will be a quality product manufactured in the UK.
Anyone interested?

I attach a file to whet your appetite. Can you see which one is the original?

Paul Ellis Ellis Engines Ltd.

Shocked Shocked

What was the date on that post John?
I sometimes see folks reply to posts that are several years old as though they had just been made.

Jim

#180:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 am
    —
admin wrote:

What was the date on that post John?
I sometimes see folks reply to posts that are several years old as though they had just been made.

Jim

It's a new thread Jim, this guy just posted it yesterday.
Here is the date stamp snipped from the Yahoo group for the entry.

Quote:
-- On Thu, 22/4/10, Paul E <fredric212000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Subject: [Control Line Flying Forum] Oliver Tiger 2,5cc diesel Replica
To: controllineflyingforum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 22 April, 2010, 23:54

I have sent a reply that will appear to the whole Yahoo group, with a link to this topic here, just in case the guy didn't know about Tom's enterprise.

#181:  Author: Harry BaileyLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:13 am
    —
A quick google search found this.
Based in Hendon, London

Ellis Model Engines
Design, manufacture and marketing of model engines and model airplanes and accessories. We specialise in innovative engine designs from only. 010cc's in capacity up to 15cc's currently.

We wish to source the highest quality innovative products and components from China as an integral part of our growth plans.

We also seek partners to work with us on our future projects.

We aim to develop a range of over 50 engine types and to market complete kits of flying model airplanes and accessories.

#182:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:34 am
    —
I got a nice reply from Paul Ellis saying that he was aware of "real" Olivers going back into production. He says he will carry on with his plans to produce a repro anyway.

just FYI Smile

I suggested he consider doing an ETA Elite repro - but lets not yatter on this thread about that or Jim will wave his big stick at us Wink

#183:  Author: JohninchesterLocation: South Cheshire, UK PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 am
    —
Update on the Ellis Oliver replica =

I got the following from Paul Ellis

"Hi John,

Just to let you know that I am soon to go into limited production of my "Ollie" replica.

It is not a direct copy of the original, but has cosmetic similarities only. It is all metric and there is no interchangability of parts with the original or other copies.

I am aiming for high performance, reasonable cost, and long service by using the very latest in production technology and material processing.

Sorry for the delay, but I have been busy working on full size engine and transmission projects.

However, to whet your appetite I have attached a picture file of the prototype. Oh, and it will be made in England!

Regards, Paul Ellis (Ellis Engines, model engine division, a part of Ritrans Ltd.)

Here is an "image" of the engine sent to me by Paul =

A quick Google on Paul Ellis found this curiosity on facebook.
http://tinyurl.com/36cbngv
I am not a facebook user so could not go further in to find out what the thing is, except I found this bit of text =

"THE ELLIS CONSTANT VOLUME CYCLE ENGINE
The Ritrans Ellis Engine is an innovative new engine design with substantial gains through the elimination of traditional engine inefficiencies. Chief among these being total heat loss to coolants. A reduction in CO2 emissions has been computed to equal 85g/km as against 160g/km for conventional engines together with an enhanced power output and torque. The Ellis Engine is smaller, lighter and half the cost of a conventional engine."

And a bit further down that page =

"The synergy of our two technologies results in a fuel consumption (when combined) of around 175 miles per gallon. Serious investors who wish to invest first round funding of £20 k plus as preference shares, please contact:"

His website has some interesting ideas on it Shocked

Quote = "The Ellis StarCruiser, the Ultimate Personal Air Vehicle for the 21st Century and Beyond"

Here = http://sites.google.com/site/ellisengines/home

What with the repro Ollie and all that above, this guy seems to have some "interesting" ideas !

#184:  Author: Dave HLocation: Blyth, Northumberland PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:19 am
    —
Can't help wondering if this is the same Paul Ellis from Worksop, Notts, my hometown, a friend of my father and frequent visitor to our house back in the 1970's. Designer of the APS Mirabilis Stunter, Competitor in "Junior Stunt" back in the day, designer of all sorts of wonderful and weird things which never got further than plans. One of his part-built designs still hangs on my father's wall. I also remember a combat model drawn on wallpaper and as far as I know never built called "Coitus Interruptus" which meant nothing to me at under 10 years of age...................
Same chap? Who knows?

#185: Oliver question Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:10 am
    —
The following couple of lines are from Lance Smith's Classic FAI site, under info about new Olivers
Quote:
Oliver Engines (prices indicative)

Short or long ?

Please explain, as Pauline Hanson once famously said

#186: Re: Oliver question Author: locktite401Location: Beautiful Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 am
    —
alanm wrote:
The following couple of lines are from Lance Smith's Classic FAI site, under info about new Olivers
Quote:
Oliver Engines (prices indicative)

Short or long ?

Please explain, as Pauline Hanson once famously said

I'll have a go at this one Alan.

The "long" is a "normal" Olly crankcase, whereas a "short" has the crankcase machined where the exhausts are to fit a ring collector.

See you tomorrow arvo.

Ray

#187: Rebirth of British icon-Oliver Tiger Production Author: feldenLocation: Felden, Hertfordshire PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:21 am
    —
Ray
I had assumed that long or short referred to the head bolt depth on the casting. The later production went much lower. Thinking about this you are probably right as otherwise it would involve two castings.

Irvin

#188:  Author: nernstLocation: messina,italy PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:19 am
    —
Hello!
The Mk 111 Short is early model with the short headbolt bosses. The Long type is the latest one with extended bosses to allow for crankcase rim machining to accept a muffler. Here's a picture of my beautiful "Short" and "Long".
Ciao from Italy!

Oliver Mk 111.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.17 KB
 Viewed:  11427 Time(s)

Oliver Mk 111.JPG

#189:  Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 am
    —
Thanks for the replies and for the lovely photo Ernesto.

#190:  Author: "aud old git"Location: PRUDHOE NORTHUMBERLAND PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 am
    —
Cracking Photos/Engines

"Who needs Diamonds when we have Gems like these"

#191:  Author: flicker of hope PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:36 pm
    —
Just took delivery of my second Mk III and the pricelist included shows a couple of new engines. There's a JSO 19 and a VCS, who can tell me what these are? I may have to have one!

#192:  Author: Harry BaileyLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:19 am
    —
Quote:
There's a JSO 19 and a VCS, who can tell me what these are? I may have to have one!

There was a recent posting in the combat section which had the following quote.

Quote:
The new Oliver 19TBR looks very promising and I believe the first batch will be available from Tom Ridley before Xmas, worth a try, I would have thought.

My guess is that the VCS is a Vintage Combat Special and the JSO 19 is the standard version but that is pure guesswork on my behalf.

#193:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm
    —
flicker of hope wrote:
Just took delivery of my second Mk III and the pricelist included shows a couple of new engines. There's a JSO 19 and a VCS, who can tell me what these are? I may have to have one!

Any chance of you posting the current price list? Or anyone else, for that matter?

Patrick Hardy

#194:  Author: ArnieLocation: Cambridge PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 pm
    —
Here is the body of an email I recieved in response to an enquiry to buy a "Tiger"

email to tom.ridley@clinthill.co.uk <tom.ridley@clinthill.co.uk>;

Thank you for your interest in our Oliver Engines.

Enclosed is a list of engines and spares I can supply. You will note the addition of a new engine, the JO19. This has been developed for vintage combat use by JSO and myself.

It was ratified for competition use during the Nationals last August.

There is a waiting list, currently engines ordered now will be available Jan/Feb 2012. No deposit is needed, just an email.

An attachment also shows some of the models.

If I can help further, please email me again.

Kindest regards

Tom

Oliver Engines
Mk 1V £185.00
Mk V £300.00

Major £195.00
Mk11 Cub £185.00
Schneurle Cub £195.00

JO19 £225.00

VCS £220.00

All prices are GBP and subject to P&P
Spares charges

Rebore on Customers Engine £40.00
• Backplate £9.50
• Cylinder Assy £45.00
(liner,piston,gudeon pin,contra piston,
Chrome bore as standard)
• Piston and Pin £12.00
• NVA £ 9.00
• Prop Driver £ 7.50
• Collet £ 5.50
• Crankshaft £44.00
• Prop Nuts £ 5.50
• Venturi £ 8.50
• Conrod £15.00
• Gaskets £ 1.00
• Cylinder Head £18.50
• Not Schneurle or MK V
• Bearings £15.00 (2)
• Head Bolt Sets £ 8.00
• Comp Screw £ 6.00
• Steel Washer £ 1.00
• Muffler £16.50
• Gudgeon Pin £ 6.50
Modifying of Engines £40.00
(does not apply to Sch.Cub or MKV)

#195:  Author: machikaLocation: Derbyshire PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:24 pm
    —
Thank you Arnie. The prices seem not to have changed since the start of 2010, I think.

I am a bit surprised to see that Mk 5s are still available.

Patrick Hardy

#196:  Author: Iskandar TaibLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:15 am
    —
What's a Major? And would any of the Tigers be Schnuerle ported?

Iskandar

#197:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:16 am
    —
An Oliver Tiger is usually bored to a volume of 2.5ccs whereas a Major is 3.5ccs capacity.

Only two Olivers that I know of are Schnuerle Ported and they are the 1.5cc Cub and the Mark 5.
(have one Cub on order)

#198:  Author: fieryLocation: Hervey Bay, Australia PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 am
    —
Hi

I would be grateful if someone could post a photo of their Mk V, I have never seen one. How do they compare in user handling and power to a Mk III or IV?

#199:  Author: raglafartLocation: East Bowral Australia PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 pm
    —
I have a Schnuerle Cub that had belonged to Dave Platt Laughing

#200:  Author: alanmLocation: CAVES BEACH NSW AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:21 pm
    —
For photos and comments on Mk V Olivers, look no further than on this site ! http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5752&highlight=

#201:  Author: Guest1Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:19 pm
    —
More Oliver Tiger Mk V pictures at;

Mk Vs

Terry McDonalds' is Post #2
Mine is Post #4 (centred between 2 Mk IVs for comparison)

A bit heavier (0.3oz) roughly than a Mk IV but I don't have enough run time to be able to make any kind of comparison. Sorry.

#202:  Author: nernstLocation: messina,italy PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 pm
    —
This is mine, by Tom Ridley, fine engine splendidly fitted.
Ciao from Italy!
Ernesto

Tiger Mk V_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.17 KB
 Viewed:  11823 Time(s)

Tiger Mk V_2.JPG

Tiger Mk V_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.13 KB
 Viewed:  11823 Time(s)

Tiger Mk V_1.JPG

#203:  Author: JSLocation: cambridge PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:09 pm
    —
Are there any updated contact details for Tom as ive emailed him several times without reply is he ok or just busy ?

#204:  Author: lawrence courtLocation: BOLTON PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:17 pm
    —
He was alive and well at the Barton VTR meeting on Sunday

#205:  Author: JSLocation: cambridge PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 pm
    —
Cheers Lawrence

#206:  Author: Iskandar TaibLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:17 am
    —
Ah.. THAT'S what's been bothering me. The exhaust is on the "wrong" side!

Iskandar

#207: Production Author: ms08Location: Sandwich Kent PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:39 am
    —
Not seen anything and have searched with Google but does anyone know if there are plans to start any further production?

#208: Olivers Author: SibbsieLocation: Chester PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:03 am
    —
Mike, I understand that Julie (Tom’s widow) no longer expects to restart production. If you want an β€œ Oliver” you now have to opt for a Parra T3 or T4, or a Technohobby K12/15 or 19. The K12/15 is reviewed in the latest Aeromodeller,
John.

#209:  Author: katanaLocation: Camberley, Surrey PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:33 am
    —
Not having any experience with 'Olivers' other than by reputation, that mk 5 looks a beast! Are they 'Really' that good? Shame that something which is obviously a quality product cannot be produced at an cost economic price - I assume?

#210:  Author: dynosawLocation: west midlands PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 am
    —
katana wrote:
Not having any experience with 'Olivers' other than by reputation, that mk 5 looks a beast! Are they 'Really' that good? Shame that something which is obviously a quality product cannot be produced at an cost economic price - I assume?
Hi IAN. The mk5 oliver was only made in small numbers [about 50? almost certainly less than 100] Tom Ridley made a few too, but of course these were not originals. The mk5 never entered serious production then. This engine came along a bit too late really. At the time, the ROSSI .15 was starting to become available in diesel form, and was a very good engine, available over the counter easily. Power wise, the mk5 was nothing special. Maybe a bit more power than a tuned mk4, [Nothing special compared to a ROSSI] I saw a couple of mk5 OLLYS tried in our UK open Goodyear models, and speed was about 28 for ten laps at absolute best, , more like a ST G20/15D at 28 for ten laps. A box standard ROSSI 15 combat diesel on olly fuel , suction feed, and a plastic prop would easily obtain 25 sec for ten on a contemporary Goodyear model back then, which roughly would equate to about 33 percent more power.

#211:  Author: VTR President PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am
    —
The Mark 5 Tiger designer by John Oliver jr. was a bit of an anathema. It was never really as good as the emerging Rossi or Super Tiger of the day and miles behind the Nelson. So really there was nowhere for them to go. Not that many originals about and command a high price from dealers and collectors.
Tom’s Repro one was probably a little better but still made for the collector.

#212: Oliver Engines Author: ms08Location: Sandwich Kent PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:54 am
    —
I see that spares are now being made again plus possible engine production going forwards

https://www.joliverengines.co.uk/shop

#213:  Author: dynosaw1Location: West Midlands PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:36 am
    —
VTR President wrote:
The Mark 5 Tiger designer by John Oliver jr. was a bit of an anathema. It was never really as good as the emerging Rossi or Super Tiger of the day and miles behind the Nelson. So really there was nowhere for them to go. Not that many originals about and command a high price from dealers and collectors.
Tom’s Repro one was probably a little better but still made for the collector.
I remember seeing just a couple of original MK5 ollys when they first appeared [c. 1972?] one was installed in a well made C/L goodyear model, I timed it at 28 sec for ten laps. At that time, you could buy imported MVVS D7 diesels for about 12 english pounds. Wash out the free swarf which came with the engine, run it in, and easily get 27.0 sec/ ten. With a good MVVS, and a bit of work, 26 for ten was possible. Lots of bang for the buck. So, yes, the mk5 already missed the boat from new. At a very early swap meet here, I saw a new ORIGINAL mk5 in the box for 25 pounds, what would that be worth now?.

Barton Model Flying Club -> Engine Talk

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1