Alumna Jung Young-ja to Contribute KRW 500 million Showing Her 28-year-long Love for the Alma Meter
http://biz.sookmyung.ac.kr/bbs/sookmyungen/78/196490/artclView.do?layout=unknown

Alumna Jung Young-ja (Department of Pharmacy, Class of 1965) donated KRW 500 million to Sookmyung Women’s University on Thu, Jul. 20. Having contributed to her alma mater since 1995, she has made an accumulated amount of donation estimated at KRW 3 billion. The university held the ceremony of her contribution to the university’s development at the administration building on campus. President Chang Yun-keum and director of External Affairs Jeong Ki-eun attended the event.

Jung Young-ja smiled, saying, “I do not regret giving away the money since it will be used for my beloved school and fellow students.” She added, “I want to ask the president to use this money where it is needed for the development of the university, and I hope students at Sookmyung become a bigger person who puts the country before themselves.” Upon her graduation in 1965, she opened “Jongoh Pharmacy,” located at Jongno 5-ga, Seoul, and ran the pharmacy for about 50 years. Since her first donation was made in 1955, the year the university declared its “second founding” for its new leap forward, she has been expressing her unconditional love for her alma mater. With the contribution of KRW 1 billion in September and the one made in July, her donation totals whopping KRW 3 billion. In honor of the will of the alumna, the university has named the College of Pharmacy lecture room 201 as “Jung Young-ja Lecture Room” in 2001 and room 301 as “Jung Young-ja Good Pharmacy Practice Laboratory” in 2011, and the lobby of the Prime Complex as “Jung Young-ja Hall” in June.

Alumna Jung Young-ja is a respected citizen who acts on the idea of noblesse oblige, donating not only to Sookmyung Women’s University but also to her another alma mater, Gimje Girl’s High School in Jeollabuk-do. She was acknowledged for her service and received the Presidential Citation at the National Recommendation Award in 2015. President Chang Yun-keum stated, “The university will honor the spirit of Sookmyung, which is to change the world with women’s wisdom, and use this precious and generous donation in developing the university as the world’s best digital humanity school.”