cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unannounced front garden dig up

pjw66
Tuning in

Hi

Please can anyone offer advice or suggestions. We came back from a 1 night away trip to find an obvious trench had been dug in our small front garden. The only explanation that fits is that it connects to our virgin / cable/ tv box at the front of our house. We received no communication whatsoever from virgin (or anyone else who could possibly have done this ). There is no sign it could be anything to do with water/ gas/ electricity 

I have checked on the virgin login page and it says ‘there is a problem with TV in your area ‘ but absolutely no further details. I can’t face the nightmare of the customer phone to find out more. It seems unacceptable that this work can be done without any communication (if this is the case - and i really can’t see any other explanation) . Virgin seem very capable of communicating with us when they are trying to sell something ……

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There are surprisingly-regular topics on here from people who return home to find a new VM cable and wall box have been fitted to their home without any contact/signup with VM.

Mostly explained by the installer mixing up an address or a neighbour wanting a VM service so VM piggy-backs off an existing next door connection.

Could possibly be something similar in your case where a cable repair/renewal has been carried out at the wrong address.

If they have created significant damage, you may want to post up some photos for the VM forum team to review.

One of the VM forum team will hopefully reply to your query, usually within a few days.

Thanks for that

a neighbour says an unmarked van did arrive and do some cable work . We definitely hadn’t asked for any work to be done and didn’t have a problem with cable/ tv/ broadband that we knew about

In terms of significant damage - I can post a picture- I guess it’s what would happen if a cable was laid. My issue is that the work was unannounced and unwanted . Should i try to phone someone ? if so who and how ?  I just find it unreasonable from a big company like virgin to do this without any communication or apology/ explanation etc

pjw66
Tuning in

here’s the evidence of the workhere’s the evidence of the work

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A lot of VM's cable installation work is sub-contracted. Regular topics on the forums describe a fairly shambolic arrangement between VM and the sub-contractors where communication is often poor, or non-existent, and frequently one organisation has little/no idea what the other is doing on any given project.

You should get a reply from the VM forum team (VM employees) on here within a few days. But you should probably set your expectations to quite a low level about finding out what actually has happened and why it happened.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey pjw66,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of this happening to you, I have looked into this and can see that you have spoken to the team since you last posted, were they able to offer any further information as to why this has happened?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven - thanks for responding 

I’m really hoping you can the first person from virgin to help me !!

I attempted to get help and an explanation from virgin via the suggested what’s app group route. This was unhelpful to say the least. incredibly I was offered a ‘ tech to come round (in 2 weeks ) and check that the work was done correctly ‘ …. to be crystal clear … I did not ask for any work to be done and had no contact with virgin about any potential work !! 

I did do my own investigation and noticed that a similar address nearby had a trench dug in their front garden . was this mistaken identity as suggested above??  (and by other people I have spoken to ). its just unacceptable on any level. I find it amazing that no one at virgin has taken any ownership or responsibility for this - I’m hoping you will be the first to do so !

thanks in anticipation 

Phil 

pjw66
Tuning in

work done at a similar (BUT DIFFERENT ) address and postcode to me…..work done at a similar (BUT DIFFERENT ) address and postcode to me…..

pjw66
Tuning in

PS - I see this thread is down as having been solved by an accepted solution …. this is NOT the case. i was simply being polite as I was asked to state if the reply from goslow (not a virgin employee to my knowledge ) was helpful … which it was. to be clear I do not feel virgin have solved this issue and I am awaiting further reply and suggestions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pjw66 wrote:

PS - I see this thread is down as having been solved by an accepted solution

It shouldn't make any difference to the staff replies, but you can click on "not a helpful answer" where you've marked it such, and use the kudos option instead.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks