cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 TV remote no longer able to control TV volume.

Darksideofmoon
Dialled in

I can re-pair with the 360 box, going through the steps it mutes, increase and decreases volume, but when out of the settings menu watching a program, the volume control no longer works controlling my Hisense TV again.

I have a second 360 box used in the bedroom connected to an older Sony TV that has no issues and works.

I've tried switching remote controls, with the same issues happening, both stop working the volume on my Hisense TV after pairing.

I've switch 360 boxes around from each room, which ever 360 box connects to the Hisense TV initially works after set up, but then stops working not long after.

What is very odd though, and i suspect is the issue, there is a phantom Sony Amp listed as a pair device to connect to when either of the 360 box is connected to the Hisense TV, i don't have a Sony amp and there is no option to remove this amp or select the TV as the audio input, the 360 box only connects to the Virgin broadband, power and TV. CEC control for all of my devices are disabled.

I have a suspicion that one of my neighbours may have a Sony Amp connected via Bluetooth somewhere, is the 360 box connecting to this automatically? Without authorisation from users?

Virgin really needs to allow a disable to remove option for paired devices, never had this issue with any of their older boxes prior to getting the 360's.

94 REPLIES 94

roy247
Community elder

Have you tried factory resetting the remote.

Press and hold the TV and Rewind button for 10 seconds which will factory reset the 360 remote. After the factory reset, try pressing TV and 0 button for 10 seconds and it should now force pairing.

It might re-pair to the TV automatically. I am pretty sure that the 360 won't be connecting by Bluetooth to the Sony. If resetting the remote doesn't remove the Sony you try a factory reset of the 360.

It's only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options,

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choosing Keep Recordings, means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up, but you will have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITVX again, also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

Factory resetting has made no difference. I've also tried with both 360 remotes with no success.

I've tried a factory reset, choosing the keeping recordings and this hasn't helped.

I have found one solution though, powering off the TV from the wall and powering it back up after some time, then re-pairing the remote with virgin box helps allow the volume controls to work again, and so far so good.

What i have noticed though, when the remote is working, when accessing the 360 settings menu for Audio & Video, the bottom option is listed as "Pair remote to audio system" as this options wording changes when the remote stops controlling the volume on the TV.

What is also strange, when the volume stops working, the remote can still the TV's input controls for change to other HDMI devices on the TV.

I suspect that there is a bug in the 360 software controlling the interface and there needs to be a change made to the software to allow the option to remove devices for audio or at the very least an option to select TV only.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update, Darksideofmoon.

To clarify, are you currently experiencing no trouble adjusting the volume, or does the issue resurface intermittently?

Please keep us informed.

Regards,

Kain

Currently, i have fixed the issue and the volume control at the moment is working.

The issue appeared about 2 weeks ago, i managed to get it working again at that time, but the issue reappeared yesterday after the 360 box was switched back on from standby to watch TV.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is a phantom Sony Amp listed as a pair device to connect to when either of the 360 box is connected to the Hisense TV, i don't have a Sony amp and there is no option to remove this amp or select the TV as the audio input.

When the remote is working, when accessing the 360 settings menu for Audio & Video, the bottom option is listed as as this options wording changes when the remote stops controlling the volume on the TV.

When you see the message "Pair remote to audio system" next to the pair remote with devices option, is there another option below there (Volume keys control) ?  If so clicking on that should switch the volume control between the TV and the phantom Sony amp.  Make sure your TV name is shown there and then press the back button on your 360 remote (just above the volume buttons)

audio and video settings.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @Darksideofmoon,

It's a shame to hear that the issue has returned. Does the advice offered by @newapollo help alleviate matters at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi DSotM,

If the Sony Amp shows again if the 360 thinks it's correctly paired you should get the option that newapollo said to use the volume keys control to select the TV.

If the Sony does come back you could try unpairing doing this, someone said they managed to unpair their amp by just entering no at every option, they didn't say what pairing option they were using unfortunately.

I assume if they tried using the keys control option they just said no to the volume test every time and it defaulted to nothing being paired, might be worth a try if the Sony reappears.

There should also be an option to unpair or forget a device. If you replace a soundbar the new one replaces the old one on the list but is the old one still held in memory in the 360 🤔

Darksideofmoon
Dialled in

There is no option for "Volume keys control" when the TV volume functionality breaks.

Those steps doesn't help.

As stated though, currently the issue is fixed after i had powered off the TV completely and then powered it back on again.

There is no option to unpair or forget device when the issue happens.