How Can I Share My Server?

Methodman104

Methodman104

I recently tried adding a friend. In Emby "setting (in configure emby) I added their email address to be a "user" on my server. It displays their email address in settings...but this is where I am confused...do I have to assign them a password from my server under their user email address?

I was under the assumption they needed a password (because if they download emby it will ask them for their username/email and password to be able to connect to my server the first time they run emby.

There is clearly something I am doing wrong here. So I want to know since I can't seem to find any NEW/CURRENT info on this and how to go about it.

My friend installed emby on their pc (will install on their TV later) and it asks them to sign in....when they sign in with their email address I have as a "user" on my server, it asks them for a password. When they enter the password I created for them, it gives an "invalid user/incorrect password" message. They can't sign in. 

Then they tried changing theirt password in the txt file that emby created for them with a 4 digit code ands they still can't log in.

They are new to emby, they don't have emby connect. I am trying to make them log into my server easily but for some reason it is not allowing them to log in.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried logging in with another computer to test it with their username/email credentials and it gives me the same error.

Are they supposed to get an email invite from me or something? How does this work exactly? What is a simple way they can open emby and connect to my server from the TV, phone, or PC?

I also included a simple file from my server on where I must be doing something wrong that they can't access my server (and I can't access my server with their username/email password either)

Clearly I must be doing something wrong. There does not seem to be any current information on this online either, some of the info I did find is from older versions of emby and the icons,etc...are either no longer the same or entirely missing on my version.

Please let me know, because I feel this is something that is probably easy, but I am either not understanding or skipping a step and as a result making adding any other users impossible to access my server at the moment.

4.JPG

pwhodges

Remember that Emby Connect and the login to your server are different things.

When you create a user in your server you give it a password (which can be skipped on the local network if you set that up).  You test that by connecting to your server directly using that login. 

If this is the first time you've attempted to set up a connection to your server from outside your network, you'll need to go through this checklist as well:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

After you know that works, then you can set up the link to Emby Connect, which is a separate account with a separate login and password - but in my view that only really adds value if they are using more than one Emby server.  Not using Emby Connect reduces reliance on Emby's infrastructure as well.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

@Methodman104

How are you making out?  Have you gotten remote access setup?

Have you been able to setup a local account (without Emby Connect) and test that?

• Like 1

Methodman104
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Remember that Emby Connect and the login to your server are different things.

When you create a user in your server you give it a password (which can be skipped on the local network if you set that up).  You test that by connecting to your server directly using that login. 

If this is the first time you've attempted to set up a connection to your server from outside your network, you'll need to go through this checklist as well:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

After you know that works, then you can set up the link to Emby Connect, which is a separate account with a separate login and password - but in my view that only really adds value if they are using more than one Emby server.  Not using Emby Connect reduces reliance on Emby's infrastructure as well.

Paul

I can already connect to Emby remotely from my network, I had to open the ports, which was done awhile ago now.

But for OTHER users that I allow.....So I will now create a test Emby account with a junk email address on my Emby server dashboard. I will allow remote connections from THAT email address to access my server. I will not give it a password (will skip the password section all together)? Now, How will I (the user with that email I just added) be able to log in then? ...How will that user with that email address access my server? They have no password.

How do they connect to it? Does it send them an invite to their email address?

If you can post screenshots that will also be helpful. There is really no YouTube videos on how to go about this either. The users; as well as myself I guess, will also not be tech savy, so that needs needs to be considered as well.

Edited by Methodman104

Methodman104
3 hours ago, cayars said:

@Methodman104

How are you making out?  Have you gotten remote access setup?

Have you been able to setup a local account (without Emby Connect) and test that?

Thanks for checking, no I have not been able to resolve this yet. The other users will not have an Emby Connect account, so they will need to access my server. In the reply I sent above this I addressed that and you (or anyone) can answer that for me if you want.

28 minutes ago, Methodman104 said:

I can already connect to Emby remotely from my network, I had to open the ports, which was done awhile ago now.

But for OTHER users that I allow.....So I will now create a test Emby account with a junk email address on my Emby server dashboard. I will allow remote connections from THAT email address to access my server. I will not give it a password (will skip the password section all together)? Now, How will I (the user with that email I just added) be able to log in then? ...How will that user with that email address access my server? They have no password.

How do they connect to it? Does it send them an invite to their email address?

If you can post screenshots that will also be helpful. There is really no YouTube videos on how to go about this either. The users; as well as myself I guess, will also not be tech savy, so that needs needs to be considered as well.

Don't use email addresses for user accounts.  Keep it simple and use the person's name. Like

Mom, Dad,  Sue, John, Bob, etc
You can setup a password for each user.
Your Emby Server does not use emails.

You can add an Emby Connect username (these will be an email address or forum account ID) to the user you created.  You the admin have no control over the user's Emby Connect password (only they do).

• Like 1

In my humble opinion the best thing to do is setup some type of DDNS service for your Emby server or get yourself a domain name and point it at your WAN address.

This way anyone can get to your server by name.  They can then use the username and password as setup on your system without the need for the extra optional Emby Connect.

My personal users have no idea what an Emby Connect username is and have no use for it.

• Like 2

Methodman104
57 minutes ago, cayars said:

Don't use email addresses for user accounts.  Keep it simple and use the person's name. Like

Mom, Dad,  Sue, John, Bob, etc
You can setup a password for each user.
Your Emby Server does not use emails.

You can add an Emby Connect username (these will be an email address or forum account ID) to the user you created.  You the admin have no control over the user's Emby Connect password (only they do).

Quick question, when someone else downloads Emby...are THEY downloading Emby Theater to view on their TV,PC,cell phone, or is it Emby Server? I also because the email/name I associated with the user I added did not work on Emby Server but worked with Emby theater.

Which version are my friends and family supposed to download to watch content on my server easily?

Hi. Your users can download one of our apps from a store (like for Android or iOS or Android TV or Roku, etc.) or just use their web browser and point it to your server's address.

1 hour ago, Methodman104 said:

I will not give it a password

Do be sure and give these users with external access a password.  All your users should have passwords.

• Like 1

Methodman104
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. Your users can download one of our apps from a store (like for Android or iOS or Android TV or Roku, etc.) or just use their web browser and point it to your server's address.

Do be sure and give these users with external access a password.  All your users should have passwords.

thanks, I will

Methodman104

I think I figured it out...my users will download Emby Theater (not Emby Server)...then I guess they will need to access the remote IP address, from there it will ask them to sign in with their username/email address I give them...then they will write in their password (if I give them one).  Is this how all the remote users are supposed to access Emby?

They are NOT supposed to access it using Emby Server?

Is that what I was doing wrong earlier (installing Emby Server on my other laptop and trying to connect to my server remotely)?

seanbuff
41 minutes ago, Methodman104 said:

I think I figured it out...my users will download Emby Theater (not Emby Server)...then I guess they will need to access the remote IP address, from there it will ask them to sign in with their username/email address I give them...then they will write in their password (if I give them one).  Is this how all the remote users are supposed to access Emby?

Exactly! You got it. Only one server is required, get your friends and family to connect their Emby client of choice to your server.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Methodman104 said:

Yes only you need to run the Emby SERVER.  Your users will use a web browser or any of the Emby CLIENTS.  Theater for a PC, but we also have clients for ios and android phones, Android TV, ROKU, apps for TVs, etc.

Check out https://emby.media/download.html (scroll down to client) for all the different clients available.

Let us know if you have any additional questions or if you're good now.

• Like 1

Methodman104

Thanks everyone for the assistance so far. I am fine so far, but the next test is when other people try to download Emby and connect...but if there are any issues or questions I will post in this particular thread again. Other than that so far everything is good.

Yes, let us know how you make out.  Feel free to open a new thread if needed.

It sometimes helps to open a new thread if the issue is different.

We're here to help so let us know.