Apple Music/Spotify in PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 02:55 PM
nykeeo
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Apple Music/Spotify in PCM

Hi
id like to know what these features really bring to us?
how different it is compared to listening apple music/spotify via apple car play?
thanks
Old 03-23-2022, 03:14 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I use the built in Apple Music without issue. I find Apple CarPlay buggy and have pretty much given up on it except for running Waze in the background (which sometimes does not work). I have a 2022 with PCM 6.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:19 PM
nykeeo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark S
I use the built in Apple Music without issue. I find Apple CarPlay buggy and have pretty much given up on it except for running Waze in the background (which sometimes does not work). I have a 2022 with PCM 6.
how is the experience ? Is it comparable to what you have on iphone/ipad?
do you need to buy any internet plan to receive enough datas in order for streaming?
Old 03-23-2022, 03:36 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

It’s the same as an iPhone/Tablet. My 2022 911 came with 3 years of free data using the car’s built in cellular, which is better than my iPhone using TMobile. I also use the built in Nav which works perfectly. I like to use a uncompressed streaming service like Apple Music. Pretty sure I can’t tell with the Bose system in my 911 but I can cell with my big system in my house.

Note: Spotify is not native to the PCM so you would need CarPlay for that.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:40 PM
nykeeo
Advanced

It’s the same as an iPhone/Tablet. My 2022 911 came with 3 years of free data using the car’s built in cellular, which is better than my iPhone using TMobile. I also use the built in Nav which works perfectly. I like to use a uncompressed streaming service like Apple Music. Pretty sure I can’t tell with the Bose system in my 911 but I can cell with my big system in my house.

Note: Spotify is not native to the PCM so you would need CarPlay for that.
thanks for your informative answer.
would you mind to bring any pictures of the UI when you have time later?
Old 03-23-2022, 03:41 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Will do.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:04 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Here you go:

Old 03-23-2022, 04:41 PM
nykeeo
Advanced

Thank you very much! It looks neat and easy to use
Old 03-23-2022, 08:38 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Will do.
I’m not sure what value there is (to me) of the ‘native’ Apple Music App, as Apple Music works fine in CarPlay. I believe the following is true, but I am open to correction:

1. In order to use ‘native’ Apple Music in PCM6, one needs a pre existing subscription to Apple Music.
2. The iPhone must be connected to the PCM6 in order to use the native Apple Music’.

When I first heard of this ‘native’ implementation of Apple Music in PCM6 (before receiving my 2022 C2), I was under the impression that it meant I’d be given a 3 year subscription to Apple Music in the car but Apple Support have advised me that they can find no such arrangement in their system. So unless I am wrong, I have to maintain an independent subscription to Apple Music. I already have an unlimited data plan. I should really like to know what the value proposition is for ‘native’ Apple Music.

On the subject of ‘native’ Spotify, that is supposed to be made available in the near future on PCM 6 on newly manufactured cars with PCM6, along with several other new features. Whether this will be offered as an OTA upgrade to existing PCM6 users has not, as far as I know, been confirmed.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Good summary- if you like Apple Carplay then I would use it.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:16 PM
nykeeo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flash992
I’m not sure what value there is (to me) of the ‘native’ Apple Music App, as Apple Music works fine in CarPlay. I believe the following is true, but I am open to correction:

1. In order to use ‘native’ Apple Music in PCM6, one needs a pre existing subscription to Apple Music.
2. The iPhone must be connected to the PCM6 in order to use the native Apple Music’.

When I first heard of this ‘native’ implementation of Apple Music in PCM6 (before receiving my 2022 C2), I was under the impression that it meant I’d be given a 3 year subscription to Apple Music in the car but Apple Support have advised me that they can find no such arrangement in their system. So unless I am wrong, I have to maintain an independent subscription to Apple Music. I already have an unlimited data plan. I should really like to know what the value proposition is for ‘native’ Apple Music.

On the subject of ‘native’ Spotify, that is supposed to be made available in the near future on PCM 6 on newly manufactured cars with PCM6, along with several other new features. Whether this will be offered as an OTA upgrade to existing PCM6 users has not, as far as I know, been confirmed.
now we are two curious about this native app function
Old 03-26-2022, 12:30 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Originally Posted by nykeeo
now we are two curious about this native app function
I need to correct this post in one respect: it is NOT necessary to have an iPhone connected to PCM6 in order to listen to Apple Music using the ‘native’ Apple Music App in PCM6. What is necessary:

An Apple Music account
Registration of this account with PCM6,
(And probably) An active PCM6 SIM card. (There may be country specific PCM6 versions which allow exterior WiFi connection).

I satisfy all three of these conditions, and can verify access the native Apple Music App on PCM6 without an iPhone connection.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash992:
jfr0317 (06-09-2022), mikey94025 (03-26-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 07:20 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 83 Posts

Is there a trick to getting Apple Music paired to PCM 6? I go to the Apple Music option under sources and when select it, it tried to generate a QR code and fails every time. I'm assuming you do a two-factor authentication with that QR code. Called Porsche and customer service is no help. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Old 06-09-2022, 07:50 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoCards67
Is there a trick to getting Apple Music paired to PCM 6? I go to the Apple Music option under sources and when select it, it tried to generate a QR code and fails every time. I'm assuming you do a two-factor authentication with that QR code. Called Porsche and customer service is no help. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Here is a checklist that I hope may help, it worked for me.

1. Sign up with Apple for an Apple Music subscription, (please forgive me for mentioning this obvious step!).

2. log in to the My Porsche web portal, (not the App).

3. Select ‘Overview’

4. Select ‘About my Vehicle’. Scroll to the bottom of that page, where you will find, ‘My Connect Services’.

5. Under ‘Configurable Services’ select Apple Music. Porsche provides a free 3 year ‘Connect’ service for Apple Music in PCM6 which you can access independent of CarPlay, provided you have an Apple Music subscription, paid separately.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:09 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash992
Here is a checklist that I hope may help, it worked for me.

1. Sign up with Apple for an Apple Music subscription, (please forgive me for mentioning this obvious step!).

2. log in to the My Porsche web portal, (not the App).

3. Select ‘Overview’

4. Select ‘About my Vehicle’. Scroll to the bottom of that page, where you will find, ‘My Connect Services’.

5. Under ‘Configurable Services’ select Apple Music. Porsche provides a free 3 year ‘Connect’ service for Apple Music in PCM6 which you can access independent of CarPlay, provided you have an Apple Music subscription, paid separately.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate the help...

I have done all of that. Now how do I log into Apple Music in the car?
I select the the Apple Music source, and nothing happens. A QR code generator fails.

Quick Reply: Apple Music/Spotify in PCM