PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
181 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
160 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
128 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
122 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
83 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
16 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
16 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
2 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

0%

0%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Bob Knight, sax player for Eddie & the Showman, passes away

Page 1 of 1

Bob Dalley posted this on Facebook earlier: "A great musician and a friend of mine Bob Knight departed this life, February 14 2017 and has joined his other band mates from Eddie & the Showmen on that big stage in heaven. I met Bob when I interviewed him for my book Surfin' Guitars Instrumental Surf Bands of the Sixties. We remained in contact for the next 36 years. He always kept me up to date of the instrumental surf music scene in California. Bob suffered a stroke last year which led to his passing. The original line up of Eddie & the Showmen (see below) have all passed on. I will miss him and my heart goes out to his family for their loss. Thanks Bob for all that great music."

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Bob was also the sax player in The Baymen. His solo on this very rare South Bay surf instrumental starts at 1:06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe1zT7S9c0A

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017 16:11:11

For me, his saxophone solos are some of the most memorable parts of Eddie and The Showmen music. He took the melodic parts on instro covers that originally had vocals, crating a nice counterpoint to the guitars. I remember when Eddie was here expressing interest in starting a band, he wanted a sax player "gotta have saxophone". I think that's a testimony to how integral to his sound he felt it was. That no doubt goes back to Bob Knight's invaluable contribution to the band.

R.I.P. Sad news indeed.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks Ivan for passing along the FB info from Bob. Sad news, juxtaposed with celebration through the recordings we have. (Thanks John for the Baymen link.)

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

So very sad Bob Knight's passing is so soon after Jim Frias' passing. No R.I.P., Bob Knight - you will live on in the music you've made.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

John, did he make up that "siren" intro on Squad Car? Sad loss to the surf community.

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

I believe it was Chaz Stuart of The Belairs who did that originally.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Page 1 of 1