Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Ebay LED tails

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ebay LED tails

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know this topic has been posted many time before, from my searches Ive found that the only LED tails that seems to work without any error codes are the ones sold by EuroPrice (group buy that I just missed). My question is.. are there any alternative solutions out there?

I recently came across these on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120884799483...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I asked the seller if these will throw any error codes and this is the response I got. Has anyone bought these before? Any input guys?

"Yes, this is plug and play unit, no error after install, please know that manufacturer has included LED resistors which you simply follow colored diagram included by manufacturer to plug them in. It is plug and play, but LED resistors are between factory wiring and the new tail light, so do not expect it's tail light directly plug and play to factory wiring. LED resistor are the reason no error so they are requirement."

Veteran Member Four Rings Liquid Smoke's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i've seen those before but have no experience on them, dont really remember anyone here doing a review or anything on em either. IMO they dont really look that good. might be better looking in person, but just judging from the pics they have this cheap aftermarket feel to them. IMO the OEM halogens look better, these LEDs look all spidered and cheap looking, definitely doesnt look like Audi LEDs to me, more like the quality of LEDs you see on hondas or something

Veteran Member Four Rings hender's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 2.0T

my sentiments exactly. I realize a lot of people prefer the LEDs to the halogen tails, but the halogen's still look good and most importantly: quality. These LEDs have - as smoke said - "spidered". The standard LED tails have legitimacy and class to them, one of those things you'll probably see with a side-by-side comparison.
    Canadian 2009 - 2011 A4 owners burning oil: www.a4b8oil.ca , sign up to help us get your repair costs back. Hold Audi accountable!

sweet multi-spoke stock 17"s | 20% tint | dropstop | few scratches where I closed the garage door on the bumper | 4x4 ride height | matte black hood | di-noc CF interior trim | plasti-dipped parts | pirated vag-com | 50lbs of sound equipment | couple of small stone chips on the hood | APR stg 1 | RS-Mesh Grille

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

That makes sense because you use resistors to do the same thing when using LED's to replace regular bulbs. The wires and computer don't know what kind of bulb is at the end, just the voltage and current going through it. Resistors "trick" it into thinking it's a regular bulb.

The taillights look nice to me, but I haven't looked at the OEM ones carefully. I'm sure OEM is nicer, but that seems like a decent price if you want to try out LED.
    Update if you do, thanks for the link.
    B8 2.0T QTip

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2023 X3 M40

This has been discussed before.
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...highlight=tail

You could be the first forum member to try em out.
    Post some pics....

-cW
    2024 RS3 Turbo Blue with Carbon Pack
    2023 X3 M40i Alpine White
    Gone - 2023 RS3 Mythos Black - 2019 SQ5 - 2019 RS5 Coupe - 2015 S3 - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...OgbcLzxwZEOt1A

AZ Member #

Its really hard to tell in pictures thats why I was hoping someone that have them would shed some light on these.

AZ Member #

Yeah these look like crap .. but forking out $1000 for LEDs are tough pill to swallow ... rather get exhaust or rims instead lol

Veteran Member Four Rings OmaHahn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1st owner '64 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible D-Code (dads)

These will not work! DavidB8 and another nice member discussed these exact same lights on yet another thread in this forum (not the one Coolwater mentions). If you look at the pic of the side light (quarter side light housing) there's just TWO wires that come out of it - assuming a ground and power. Audi tails take a whole lot more than just a power and ground wire - it's a full wiring harness back there.
    2009 A4 3.2 V6 - sold
    2014 Ford SHO, 3.5 twin turbo with mods, 490WHP/545WTQ - sold
    2021 Dodge Durango SRT
    1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible, D-Code (original owner, Dad's ride I'm storing)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2023 X3 M40

Another interesting thing I noticed.
    This seller is saying it is manufactured by "* German FK-Automotive's OEM manufacturer, DEPO, ISO 2001 Certified, Quality is Guaranteed!"
    However, I am only aware of Dectane making the aftermarket plug and play units.
    https://www.dectane.de/product_info....l&&language=en

This link above shows all the connections and resistors/error-cancellers.

-cW
    Last edited by coolwater; 04-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Gone - 2023 RS3 Mythos Black - 2019 SQ5 - 2019 RS5 Coupe - 2015 S3 - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T

AZ Member #

What about the Europrice ones? any word on those?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I bought these a few weeks back and installed them without any issues in about an hour. I made sure the housings do say "DEPO" on them, which I know is a reputable brand from my BMW days.

So far they have been working great! I have no error codes (they came with code eliminators).

I'm not going to lie, the OEM LED tails are definitely brighter and nicer, but I couldn't justify paying so much for the OEM ones. But I prefer this look over the OEM halogen tail lights.

Veteran Member Four Rings dracolnyte's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q5 3.0T

Quote Originally Posted by JY24 View Post
    I bought these a few weeks back and installed them without any issues in about an hour. I made sure the housings do say "DEPO" on them, which I know is a reputable brand from my BMW days.

So far they have been working great! I have no error codes (they came with code eliminators).

I'm not going to lie, the OEM LED tails are definitely brighter and nicer, but I couldn't justify paying so much for the OEM ones. But I prefer this look over the OEM halogen tail lights.
    for $300, it could justify

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2023 X3 M40

Got any pics? Did you have them reprogrammed by David?

-cW

Last edited by coolwater; 04-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I'd love to see pics or ever better, a good video. Do they have an Avant version?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coolwater View Post
    Got any pics? Did you have them reprogrammed by David?

-cW
    No, all stock. What does programming do? Sorry for being a newb.

I assume it is for changing what blinks when using the turn signal?

Quote Originally Posted by belzebutt View Post
    Yeah I'd love to see pics or ever better, a good video. Do they have an Avant version?
    I believe they only have a sedan version, I remember some other guy on another website said they won't fit an Avant... sorry for being so vague.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2023 X3 M40

That's part of it. It also changes how the brakes wrap as opposed to the outer tail only lighting up on my halogens.

ROW LED

My Reprogrammed Halogens - Turn signal is the same as ROW LED. The bottom non-LED blinks.

-cW

AZ Member #

Could you post some pics / videos?

I believe they only have a sedan version, I remember some other guy on another website said they won't fit an Avant... sorry for being so vague.

Veteran Member Four Rings OmaHahn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1st owner '64 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible D-Code (dads)

Yes - pics or video please. What does your turn signal look like? Is it the small rectanglular section in the lower quarter housing and in amber color OR do all the red LED's blink on that one quarter section....???

I am SO gung ho to upgrade to the 2013 facelift version but I know that's going to require a new trunk, lights, etc and will be expensive! The current OEM LED are expensive too so this just might be a temporary solution but definitely need pics and video! Thanks!
    2009 A4 3.2 V6 - sold
    2014 Ford SHO, 3.5 twin turbo with mods, 490WHP/545WTQ - sold
    2021 Dodge Durango SRT
    1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible, D-Code (original owner, Dad's ride I'm storing)

AZ Member #

Does anyone want to go in the cost of shipping of one of these to do a review?

Veteran Member Four Rings Greg Nelson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 3.0 (Wife's Ride)

Thinking you get what you pay for. If these are 1/3 the price of the group buy Euro OEM tails offered last year by Alex/EuroPrice with David B8's (indestructible) coding and Alex's custom harness included .........
    Noticed in pics that LED light gap between trunk and fender portion is greater than OEM - looks wrong
    Would still need to be coded to achieve which lights activate when - DavidB8 coded my Euro OEM lights last year perfectly
    Good luck
    2009 3.2L Sedan BB/Beige. VMR V710 Gunmetal 19" Rims. Exterior Chrome Trim painted Quartz Grey. LED ROW tail lights. KW V1. H&R RSB. StopTech PosiQuiet Pads, Painted Calipers. HOEN Xenon Match Fog Lamps. Fog Grilles converted to S-Line look. Stone Guards. FCA Rear Diffuser. LED interior lights, cup holder lights & door pocket lights. RS4 Pedals. Remus Mufflers.