Fake screenshot contest

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Patrick
Donator

Re: Fake screenshot contest

Post by Patrick »

WinPC wrote:Excuse me for the double post, but today, Bob Cowart sent me 10 screenshots of Chicago Build 83, and also appologized for repainting the colors of the Windows logo in the screenshot of the boot screen of Janus Build 43e, and for typing and undoing some text before taking the Read Me screenshots, he said he was afraid that people would see the blinking cursor after the word "Beta 2" and think that it was "doctored" as he said it.

Anyway, here are his screenshots of Chicago Build 83 from February 1994:
*snip*

Thats almost believable!
It's called a hustle, sweetheart.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Well here are the screenshots of Windows 95/286!

First, setup. It seems as though it was made in a rush, the EULA file is missing, all options for setup are nonchangable.
I tried DOSBox first, and setup did come up, but with this:

I lowered the cycle count to 1500 and setup now comes up properly:

The startup screen is the same, though it tacks on "/286" at the end:

Now we see the fresh desktop. It is a mix of text and graphics as seen here:
You'll notice that there is a single white line in the center of the screen, and that is the Welcome to Windows 95 dialog coming up. However the build is really unstable as it seems to have been made in a rush and so you get the following most times:
So, let's try safe mode. Since WinPC said this was for cash registers, banks, vehicle related things, hospitals and the Third World, Safe Mode has been renamed to Windows Expert mode. The change was most likely to keep beginners out of Safe mode. Again, it seems an MS dev was rushed as you can see the error in the startup menu.
Here is Windows Expert mode. It's like Windows 95 Safe mode in the fact that it uses a basic video driver. In this case, it uses the MDA text-mode driver to start up as opposed to the basic 640x480x16 the retail Win95 uses.
As you see, it's using the text-mode driver and shows a warning for Expert mode. Notice how the taskbar looks. The process that starts the taskbar (it's a separate process in 95/286) begins to start, but then crashes the system again with a CPU error. Our only option left is to run Expert mode with the command prompt:
As you see, the build string is Windows 95 4.00.200.1. The extra 1 is added to the end because this was going to ship in 8088/8086 versions and 286 versions. I believe the 808x version reports 4.00.200.

So, due to being rushed and unstable, it's no wonder MS stopped the development.

I put a lot of time and effort into making all my fake images.
Goodbye.

lucas93

Post by lucas93 »

Those look like they would have taken a while!
Pretty cool
(Too bad it was unstable )

Patrick
Donator

Post by Patrick »

Can you leak, linuxlove? (j/k)

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

lucas93 wrote:Those look like they would have taken a while!
Pretty cool
(Too bad it was unstable )
They did take a while to make.
betacollector21 wrote:Can you leak, linuxlove? (j/k)
Let me patch up the OS and I'll leak it.
Goodbye.

Patrick
Donator

Post by Patrick »

linuxlove wrote:
betacollector21 wrote:Can you leak, linuxlove? (j/k)
Let me patch up the OS and I'll leak it.
You DO know I am joking, right?

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Yes I do but for lolz I think I'll write a "usable" version of these fake screenshots
Goodbye.

Saul
Donator

Post by Saul »

That is going above and beyond
Previously known as effy11

PTL

Post by PTL »

Through the use of a obscure video driver and some other trickery, i've gotten Windows 1.01 running at a resolution of 1440x900 on a 250gb SATA drive, with multiprocessor support. i'm having trouble getting the DVD drive and USB working, though. i had to make a partition of a small size for it to install properly, though.

MonsterMagnet

Post by MonsterMagnet »

So uh, I had some time on my hand, and decided to redesign Windows for the upcoming version, Windows 8.

Apparently, Microsoft decided to drastically redesign and improve Windows
Needless to say this layout is more optimized for a widescreen, but I captured a screen for you all in default resolution

Windows 8 features the reintroduction of the sidebar, but this time, with the ability for applications like WLM and Skype to integrate themselves into the sidebar, allowing quick access to programs which do not use a lot of screen space.

Also, since most screens nowadays are widescreen, the task 'bar' has been moved to the left, but the 'bar' part of it has dissappeared, allowing a more fluent work environment.

Note that this build has a problem displaying the correct buttons in explorer windows, as you can see, the space between the contents of a folder and the location bar is empty due to this bug.

Co-Worker #1: "A boolean variable has two possible values: true or false."
Co-Worker #2: "Umm...true?"

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

PTL, all I can say is... LOL WUT?
MonsterMagnet, that's a good fake there.

Once I get my computer working again I'll start working on Windows 95/286
Goodbye.

Andrew
Donator

Post by Andrew »

MonsterMagnet: That looks like a HP-Microsoft UI mixture, very, very well done.
MonsterMagnet wrote:So uh, I had some time on my hand, and decided to redesign Windows for the upcoming version, Windows 8.

Apparently, Microsoft decided to drastically redesign and improve Windows
Needless to say this layout is more optimized for a widescreen, but I captured a screen for you all in default resolution

Windows 8 features the reintroduction of the sidebar, but this time, with the ability for applications like WLM and Skype to integrate themselves into the sidebar, allowing quick access to programs which do not use a lot of screen space.

Also, since most screens nowadays are widescreen, the task 'bar' has been moved to the left, but the 'bar' part of it has dissappeared, allowing a more fluent work environment.

Note that this build has a problem displaying the correct buttons in explorer windows, as you can see, the space between the contents of a folder and the location bar is empty due to this bug.

lucas93

Post by lucas93 »

MonsterMagnet wrote:Image
Very nice MonsterMagnet!

*steals image for LucOS shell concept*
(Not really, I'd ask for permission first )

Longhorn

Post by Longhorn »

do you think it's good?

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Is that supposed to be a remake of the Windows 95 user interface? If so, then I used to do that all the time a long time ago, I might have even done Windows 93, and I think I also did some sort of Windows 2000 logo remake, however it's rarely looked professional, but I used to really enjoy doing that.

Manosgun1

Post by Manosgun1 »

@Longhorn
It looks like real !!
ImageVB Collector.

Longhorn

Post by Longhorn »

I copied 2 things from a real screenshot... try to find them. @Manosgun1... pretty close to real, but not exactly. It took me about 30 min. And @WinPC, yes... it is a remake of the interface.

Manosgun1

Post by Manosgun1 »

My Windows NT 3.51 with Bootscreen Image
WARNING, this image is NOT fake .
EDIT:
Also don t forget the new Microsoft Windows Logo
EDIT2:
Answer:Image
ImageVB Collector.

Longhorn

Post by Longhorn »

Yeah... but next time, just post text. And I know where you got the Windows NT Workstation "boot" from... it's an MSpainted Windows 95 screen.

Manosgun1

Post by Manosgun1 »

Longhorn wrote:Yeah... but next time, just post text. And I know where you got the Windows NT Workstation "boot" from... it's an MSpainted Windows 95 screen.
Yeah, i made it . I took Windows 95 bootscreen and NT 4.0 box and pasted the text from the nt 4.0 box on the win95 bootscreen.5mins job actually .
ImageVB Collector.

Patrick
Donator

Post by Patrick »

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploa ... 945136.jpg
Chicago Build 38 later compile... or is it?
By the way, this actually is a real fake (confusing ). This taskbar actually WORKS
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Actually, Bob Cowart just told me that what you have is Chicago Build 63, which he tested in English, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Finnish, Russian, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

Patrick
Donator

Post by Patrick »

WinPC wrote:Actually, Bob Cowart just told me that what you have is Chicago Build 63, which he tested in English, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Finnish, Russian, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
Who is this "Bob Cowart" guy?

Patrick
Donator

Post by Patrick »

Double Post!

John Appleseed gave me a screenshot of what appears to be Chicago Build 13b.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Bob Cowart, as I said, wrote Mastering Windows 3.1, published by Sybex Publishing. From seeing his screenshots, it appears that he beta tested Janus, including one build that I seem to have made out to be Build 40.

However, the Bob Cowart with the Janus Build 43e, Chicago Build 83, and Chicago Build 89 screenshots in this topic was my fake version of him, I never actually had contacts with the real one.