Microsoft Windows Max

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Daniel

Microsoft Windows Max

Post by Daniel »

Hi, does somebody know, what Microsoft Windows Max is?

Namronia showed me this logo, but we dont know what it is. Any conjectures?

We only know that this picture is from late 2001.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I have found this picture:

And I have found some comments like this:
[...] Hopefully I become a tester for Blackcomb(Windows MAX)

m4rkuz

Post by m4rkuz »

Looks like a Server xD

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I found this on a German Site:
Noch steht Windows XP nicht einmal in den Startlöchern und schon gibt es erste Spekulationen über den Nachfolger. Nach den ersten vagen Gerüchten soll das übernächste Betriebssystem von Microsoft Windows MAX heissen.
Which is apparently (according to the somewhat dodgy Google Translator):
Even Windows XP is not even in the starting blocks and already there is speculation about the first successor. After the first vague rumours, the next but one operating system from Microsoft Windows MAX hot.

m4rkuz

Post by m4rkuz »

My Translation: ^^

Windows MAX is early Vista or already 7 / Vienna /Blackcomb

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I have found the whole news:
Noch steht Windows XP nicht einmal in den Startlöchern und schon gibt es erste Spekulationen über den Nachfolger. Nach den ersten vagen Gerüchten soll das übernächste Betriebssystem von Microsoft Windows MAX heißen.

Noch steht Windows XP nicht einmal in den Startlöchern und schon gibt es erste Spekulationen über den Nachfolger. Nach den ersten vagen Gerüchten soll das übernächste Betriebssystem von Microsoft Windows MAX heißen.
Der Codename war schon seit längerem bekannt. "Blackcomb" heißt das Betriebssystem, dass schon längst bei Microsoft entwickelt wird.
Blackcomb (ebenso wie Whistler in der wirklichen Welt ein Gebirge in der Nähe von Redmond) soll als erstes Betriebssystem mit der von Microsoft propagierten ".Net"-Technologie ausgestattet werden. Mit Hilfe der ".NET"-Technologie soll das Internet verstärkt in das Betriebssystem integrieren werden. Das im Herbst erscheinende Windows XP dagegen wird nur einige Elemente dieser Technologie enthalten.
Ob "Blackcomb" tatsächlich als Windows MAX auf den Markt kommen wird, kann nur spekuliert werden. Gewöhnlich gut informierte Quellen wollen dies aus den Kreisen von Microsoft vernommen haben. Da "Blackcomb" (Windows MAX) frühestens im Herbst 2002 auf den Markt kommen wird, bleibt Microsoft noch Zeit, sich für den neuen Namen zu entscheiden.
Zweifel bleiben aber: Das oben abgebildete Logo ist nicht gerade professionell und Microsofttypisch gestaltet. Zudem dürfte die Bezeichnung "MAX" für Verwirrung sorgen. Schließlich klingt der Name im Englischen ausgesprochen so ähnlich wie der Plural des Wortes "Mac". Und das dürfte Apple nicht unbedingt gefallen. (PC-WELT, 19.04.2001, pk)
And in english (also Google Translator):
Even Windows XP is not even in the starting blocks and already there is speculation about the first successor. After the first vague rumours, the next but one of Microsoft Windows operating system called MAX.

Even Windows XP is not even in the starting blocks and already there is speculation about the first successor. After the first vague rumours, the next but one of Microsoft Windows operating system called MAX.
The code name had already been known. "Blackcomb" is the operating system that has long developed at Microsoft.
Blackcomb (Whistler, as well as in the real world, a mountain near Redmond) is the first operating system with the Microsoft propagated. "Net" technology. With the help of ". NET technology, the Internet increasingly integrated into the operating system. The publication in the autumn of Windows XP, on the other hand, only some elements of this technology.
Whether "Blackcomb" than Windows MAX actually on the market, it can only be speculated upon. Usually well-informed sources want this from the circles have heard of Microsoft. Since "Blackcomb" (Windows MAX) at the earliest in fall 2002 on the market, Microsoft will have time to opt for the new name.
But doubts remain: The above logo is not just professionally, and Microsoft typically designed. Moreover, the term 'MAX' confusion. Finally, the name sounds in English pronounced similar to the plural of the word "Mac". And that should not necessarily like Apple. (PC WORLD, 19.04.2001, pk)

m4rkuz

Post by m4rkuz »

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

The server-like shut down screen looks suspicious if that was to be a client build.

Off-topic, but I was once (many years ago) working on a custom build of Win2k called "Windows MAX" and had no idea that MS had planned something which could have that name.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Thats Codename Max, a photo-sharing service

Im thinking maybe what Longhorn was called before it was called Longhorn?
Remember, according to the Checklist it was a few builds into Longhorn before it got that name....

Just a thought anyway

m4rkuz

Post by m4rkuz »

yep or already Windows 7. Becauz Vista was actully not planned xD

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I think it's another Codename for Windows Blackcomb/Vienna/Seven. Originally MSFT planned to release Codename Blacomb in the second half of 2002, so MAX could be Blackcomb or a planned successor of Backcomb.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

intresting at all here, if anyone wants to know, that was the original picture link....

http://www.activewin.com/imagene//misc/2001/winmax.gif

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

MS Planned to have Blackcomb as OS between XP and Longhorn.
then it was moved to after Longhorn and Shorthorh should be between XP and Longhorn. Then Shorthorn was scrapped and Longhorn scratched and got Vista.

For servers it was planned how it is now.

And all that is the "cloud"... or now "the wave"

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Ludacris wrote:And all that is the "cloud"... or now "the wave"
What do you mean?

logicaL

Post by logicaL »

Ludacris wrote:MS Planned to have Blackcomb as OS between XP and Longhorn.
then it was moved to after Longhorn and Shorthorh should be between XP and Longhorn. Then Shorthorn was scrapped and Longhorn scratched and got Vista.

For servers it was planned how it is now.

And all that is the "cloud"... or now "the wave"
Huh? The original plan was to have Longhorn (Vista) as a interim Windows until Blackcomb (Vienna/7) would be released.Eventually Longhorn got delayed, and became the enigma that is now known as Vista.

So therefore Blackcomb got pushed back until H2-09 or most likely 2010, and is now known as Windows Seven.

SaT

Post by SaT »

lol
no guys
Windows Max was this wierd app that turned into Xpression Blend

it was only a XAML editor
it even had its page

www.microsoft.com/max

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

SaT wrote:lol
no guys

it even had its page

www.microsoft.com/max
No. Microsoft Max is a WinFX based Photo application. It was released on September 13, 2005.
Windows Max is a very early build of Codename Blackcomb or Longhorn or whatever...
Here is a screenshot of Microsoft Max:

Smartie77

x64 XP

Post by Smartie77 »

It is the Codename of XP Professional x64.

Remember that the final product is technically the same build as Windows Server 2003 , only substracted all specific server features , rebranded it and so could sell it as a Desktop OS.

I can imagine whilst in the Alpha/Beta phase they did not eclude the server typically features like tha shutdown-tracker.

So what you see there woul be Aplpha x64 built on Windows .net server (beta)

rtm of 2003 and x64 is both build 3790.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The name of the Windows 2003 Server alphas was Whistler Server and the codename of Windows XP 64 bit was Sundown. I think Max is something else.

Jamson

Post by Jamson »

Max and Bob.. very creative Microsoft.

It sounds more like Blackcomb.. combining all the quotes everyone has shown here. I couldn't dig up anything.

change1973

Codename MAX

Post by change1973 »

I still have the installer for this app, however its a MS downloader that no longer works.

Microsoft shut this down over a year ago.

Namronia

Re: Codename MAX

Post by Namronia »

change1973 wrote:I still have the installer for this app, however its a MS downloader that no longer works.

Microsoft shut this down over a year ago.
Please, all understand now, we do not talk about microsoft max, which was a graphic program, we talk about "microsoft windows codename max" what was a prototype of a operating system....

ikki-kun

Post by ikki-kun »

D.Konieczny wrote:
SaT wrote:lol
no guys

it even had its page

www.microsoft.com/max
No. Microsoft Max is a WinFX based Photo application. It was released on September 13, 2005.
Windows Max is a very early build of Codename Blackcomb or Longhorn or whatever...
Here is a screenshot of Microsoft Max:

Looks like OSX

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

NEW INFORMATION:

I was just installing WSUS on Server 2008 and i can download updates for Microsoft Codename MAX.

Screenshot:

Adn i can download the Internet Explorer 8 Dynamic Installer!!!
I will try it.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

DjRob wrote:NEW INFORMATION:

I was just installing WSUS on Server 2008 and i can download updates for Microsoft Codename MAX.

Screenshot:
Is there a description for this?