Looking for recent topics?

Fuse keeps blowing - Please help ASAP

BC96F150
Truck: 1996 F-150 XLT 6cyl
My Truck Mods

Fuse keeps blowing - Please help ASAP

Post by BC96F150 »

Hello everyone, my name is Scott and I live in the Palm Beach area of South Florida. I bought my 16 year old son a 1996 F150 XLT a few months ago. It's a decent truck in pretty good working condition. I do not have any good pics of it at the moment, just the ones below that I cropped from some other pics I have. It's nothing special; regular cab, long bed, 4.9L 6cyl, bone stock, green paint/gray interior. Found this site on a Google search. Nice to be here.

[img]httpss://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/exit39/Ford%20F150/2625735c-orig-1.jpg[/img]

Now on to a problem that's happening.

To preface this, the cowl under the windshield has had a serious leak for years that the previous owner tried to fix, but couldn't. The tray is completely rusted through in some areas, and when it rains heavily, the water will run down the inside of the firewall into the cab. We removed the carpet because of the musty smell. I did a quick fix to the rusted through areas with A/C foil tape and some undercoating spray. Apparently I've missed some areas because it still leaks.

Recently, the #18 fuse keeps blowing out. #18 is a 10 Amp fuse that controls the Speedometer and Electronic Shift Module amongst other things, however I only mention those because these are the main issues: The speedometer/odometer don't work and it will not shift up from 1st gear. I do not have a wiring schematic, but I traced the wires to the firewall and ended up unplugging the three harnesses anyway to see if water had got into them. It looks as if it has, so I cleaned them up and ran a fan all night to dry them out.

Because I do not have a wiring schematic my question is if there is something else in that wire loop from the fuse to the transmission/speedometer that could be shorting? A relay or module at the tranny?

Any help is appreciated as the truck is used daily, but is forced to sit right now.
1996 F-150 XLT Regular Cab,
4.9 I6, 2WD, Auto, approx 140K miles

kg5ie
Truck: 95 4x4 XLT 5.0 4R70W
My Truck Mods

Re: Fuse keeps blowing - Please help ASAP

Post by kg5ie »

Welcome to the forum.

You can find most of the wiring diagrams under a folder furnished by a good member "Steve83". Find any post by him and click on his black bronco. Then find the folder for "diagrams". If you haven't mastered the search yet...here is the link.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12671

Also, the very first post in the forum has lots of GOOD info. I suggest you read through it when you have a second.

Again, welcome.
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

At this point I'm ruling out any water or moisture. Two nights ago I left three main firewall plugs below the brake booster unplugged with a fan blowing on them all night. Then last night, I used electronics cleaner and used compressed air to blow out all the wiring connectors, and again left them overnight with the fan.

This evening I plugged everything back in, installed a fresh 10Amp fuse, connected the battery and turned the key to 'on'. The fuse is fine. Then I start the truck; the digital odometer comes on for a few seconds, then the fuse blows. Yesterday, it would only blow when I put the truck into gear.

Help me understand this please. Fuse #18 description is for:

- Speedometer
- Electronic Shift Control
- Air Bag Module
- Shift Lock
- Day/Night Mirror
- Diesel RPM Control
- Diesel Speed Control
- Overhead Console

Now, the truck only has the items I bolded above. It is not diesel, nor 4x4, nor does it have the day/night mirror nor overhead console. I would imagine that the Shift Lock option is for the 4x4 truck, so that wouldn't apply either.

I am assuming that the Electronic Shift Control applies? Where is this located? How would/could I test it? Please tell me it's not inside the tranny.

I attached a picture of what I believe to be the Manual Lever Position Sensor ... am I right? Could that have somehow gone bad and be shorting out the fuse?

I'm stumped.

kg5ie
Truck: 95 4x4 XLT 5.0 4R70W
My Truck Mods

Post by kg5ie »

My book shows fuse 18 to be for the 4wd shift module and the PSOM (speedo). I assume a bad PSOM could cause the fuse to blow...especially since they saw fit to fuse it. Also, the PSOM module is in exactly the area of your described leak.

https://www.harleyhummerclub.org/PSOM/index.html

Good question for Steve83. I am sure he can tell you. He likely has some spare PSOM's around too that he would sell you. Find one of his posts, click on his UserID and send him an email. He is always willing to help.

bd
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

kg5ie wrote:My book shows fuse 18 to be for the 4wd shift module and the PSOM (speedo). I assume a bad PSOM could cause the fuse to blow...especially since they saw fit to fuse it. Also, the PSOM module is in exactly the area of your described leak.

https://www.harleyhummerclub.org/PSOM/index.html

Good question for Steve83. I am sure he can tell you. He likely has some spare PSOM's around too that he would sell you. Find one of his posts, click on his UserID and send him an email. He is always willing to help.

bd
Hey, thanks for that! The only issue that is not mentioned in this is that my truck will not shift out of first either. Do you think that's also related to the fuse, or something else entirely that just happened to occur at exactly the same time?

Evan_P
Truck: 92 Flareside XLT 5.8L 190500 miles
My Truck Mods

Post by Evan_P »

The truck wont shift because the PSOM(speedo) controls the transmission. If the speedo doesn't work, neither will the transmission.
'92 Flareside, 5.8L 351, E40D, 3.55 gears, 4WD, Auto-Locking hubs, XLT, extended cab, Pro Comp 4" lift system, 190,000 miles, engine rebuilt 30,000 miles ago, 33x12.50R15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, 130A 3G swap
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

I really appreciate you guys responding and sharing your knowledge. This morning I took out the PSOM to visually inspect it, the connections and surrounding area(s). I don't 'see' anything that would be a problem. I know that's kinda tough to do with small soldering connections - 'see' a problem. However, there's no way water got back there so that's out. Something must have just shorted with age or ??? Anyway, below are some pics I just took.

- First is the three firewall plugs just so you know what the hell I'm talking about, LOL!

- Second is the front and back of the PSOM so you too can visually inspect it. :wink:

- Third is the dash and plugs which show no sign of water intrusion nor abnormalities.

- Last is the area that first led me to believe it might have been water that started this. I found water on the ledge below that plug where my finger is pointing. When it rains, water will run down the fire wall in a few locations in the cab.

I emailed Steve83 as suggested, but just waiting to hear back. So is there an easy way to 'test' the PSOM while it's out of the dash? Maybe take it to an automotive electronics shop? ... Small electronics shop? Dammit, I just don't want to pay somebody labor when I can do this myself. I have no problem paying for the fix the part itself, or replacement.

Steve83
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Truck: 83 Bronco with major mods
My Truck Mods

Post by Steve83 »

Your rain leaks are probably due to 3 things: leaves under the windshiled trim, leaves in the driver's cowl drain, and poor body seam sealing at the factory before painting. Click these & read the captions:

ImageImageImageImageImage

I doubt the water has anything to do with the fuse, but drying the connectors & harness didn't actually do anything useful. Your truck doesn't have Electronic Shift Control (ESOF) - that's pushbutton 4WD. Start by unplugging the shift lock actuator (L side of the steering column near the fuse block) AND the airbag module (ADM; light blue wrapped in thin black foam above the gas pedal) AND the PSOM. Install a 12V bulb (steal one from the back of the instrument cluster) in place of the fuse and turn the key to RUN. If the bulb lights, the short is present, and it's in the dash wiring harness between the fuse block & those 3 items.

ImageImageImageImageImage

If not, install a 10A fuse, plug in the shift lock, & press the brake pedal. If the fuse blows, remove the shift lock (2 screws) and find a replacement. I've never heard of one going bad, so I'd trust one from a junkyard. They're VERY common on virtally every Ford product with an automatic since ~1990. Click my tan CV in my signature & read the captions in the Steering Column album.

If the fuse doesn't blow, UNplug the shift lock, turn the key OFF, and plug in the ADM. Turn the key to RUN and watch the airbag light on the dash. If it does ANYTHING other than come on for a few seconds & the go off (to include blowing the fuse), click this & read the caption:

Test the PSOM installed & connected normally, but the shift lock & ADM unplugged. Read this caption & the others in that album if necessary:

Instead of putting your location in a post, put it in your profile. It may be useful later, if you need assistance or parts. There's not enough room to put all the truck's details in your profile, so read this caption & create a signature:

Image . Image . Image . '99 CV, '94 CV, & two '96 EB Broncos RIP
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

Steve, wow thanks man! I'll be trying those this weekend and get back to you with the results.

I pulled a couple of codes last night (I would have done this first, but my reader took a crap; had to get another). I'm at work right now and can't remember the actual 'numbers', but they were referencing first the O2 heater control circuit and second the crankshaft position sensor.

Do you think either of those could be related somehow to my current problem? Those two codes were there before this happened. I replaced all the O2 sensors last month and haven't got around to the crankshaft position sensor yet.

I also never cleared the codes, but I cleared them last night and started the truck; shut it down and pulled the same codes again. I appreciate your taking the time on this.

BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

Steve83 wrote:...Start by unplugging the shift lock actuator (L side of the steering column near the fuse block) AND the airbag module (ADM; light blue wrapped in thin black foam above the gas pedal) AND the PSOM. Install a 12V bulb (steal one from the back of the instrument cluster) in place of the fuse and turn the key to RUN. If the bulb lights, the short is present, and it's in the dash wiring harness between the fuse block & those 3 items.
Ok, I did that. The bulb came on, but very very dim (see pic).

Steve83 wrote:...If not, install a 10A fuse, plug in the shift lock, & press the brake pedal. If the fuse blows, remove the shift lock (2 screws) and find a replacement. ...
Did that and the fuse did NOT blow.

Steve83 wrote:...If the fuse doesn't blow, UNplug the shift lock, turn the key OFF, and plug in the ADM. Turn the key to RUN and watch the airbag light on the dash. If it does ANYTHING other than come on for a few seconds & the go off (to include blowing the fuse), click this & read the caption ...
I did this anyway (in lieu of the previous). The fuse blew.

And I read your next statement regarding testing the PSOM installed & connected normally, but the shift lock & ADM unplugged. That's where I got lost. After reading through the caption text, my next question is where do I go from here? Is the ADM module bad? Short in the line there somewhere?

Thanks.

Steve83
My Truck Mods

Post by Steve83 »

BC96F150 wrote:I pulled a couple of codes ... my reader took a crap; had to get another).
No, you didn't. You should return it ASAP for refund. A paperclip is much more reliable.

BC96F150 wrote:...can't remember the actual 'numbers', but they were referencing...
Don't pick words out of a code definition. Always post the number, and the COMPLETE definition; preferrably several versions from a few lists.
BC96F150 wrote:o you think either of those could be related somehow to my current problem?
Of course they COULD, but without knowing what the WHOLE code & definition are, I couldn't even guess.
BC96F150 wrote:I replaced all the O2 sensors last month and haven't got around to the crankshaft position sensor yet.
Why? Do you still have the originals? I'd put them back. There is no crank position sensor.
BC96F150 wrote:
Steve83 wrote:If the bulb lights, the short is present, and it's in the dash wiring harness between the fuse block & those 3 items.
Ok, I did that. The bulb came on, but very very dim (see pic).
Short in the line there somewhere?
:roll: Are you reading what you're quoting? You could have stopped right there - everything else you checked was moot. There's something drawing power off that circuit even when the 3 stock things are unplugged. It's either something that was added to that circuit, or it's a fault in the wiring.
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

These are the two codes that show up:
P0155 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0385 Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Malfunction
(verified at https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/; same definitions from my smartphone app as well).

Without knowing all the details of this truck, I was under the assumption when I first saw code P0385 that there was a Crankshaft Position Sensor. I now know there is a misfire sensor and a profile ignition pickup.

So if I'm reading your answer correctly regarding my very dim bulb, you're telling me to stop there. Got it. There is nothing added to that circuit, by that I mean the truck is bone stock; no aftermarket lights or alarm, etc. So now I'm down to a fault in the line it seems from your reply. I will trace those lines tomorrow ... anything 'in-particular' based upon your experience I should look for?

Thanks again Steve!

Steve83
My Truck Mods

Post by Steve83 »

BC96F150 wrote:There is nothing added to that circuit, by that I mean the truck is bone stock; no aftermarket lights or alarm, etc.
anything 'in-particular' based upon your experience I should look for?
Something added to that circuit. It would be remarkably rare for there to be any damage to the dash harness; especially in the area between the fuse block & the ADM.

There's a slim chance that your 2WD dash harness has some wiring for an ESOF. Check the unused connectors in the R kick for the W/Pu circuit. If you find it, then something could be spliced or pinched anywhere across the dash. Study the pics in my first post.
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

Steve83 wrote:
BC96F150 wrote:There is nothing added to that circuit, by that I mean the truck is bone stock; no aftermarket lights or alarm, etc.
anything 'in-particular' based upon your experience I should look for?
Something added to that circuit. It would be remarkably rare for there to be any damage to the dash harness; especially in the area between the fuse block & the ADM.

There's a slim chance that your 2WD dash harness has some wiring for an ESOF. Check the unused connectors in the R kick for the W/Pu circuit. If you find it, then something could be spliced or pinched anywhere across the dash. Study the pics in my first post.

Will do tomorrow night hopefully. Again, I really appreciate your time in this. :thumb:

BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

Hey there everyone! Life's been busy and we put the truck aside for a while. However, tonight I actually found time to dig into the issue. It was not the PSOM, but in fact the airbag module. I started with with a pack of 10A fuses and began unplugging stuff on the same circuit one at a time and turning the key ... yeah, cavemanish I know ... but it worked. Every time the fuse would blow a burning smell would surface briefly. I narrowed it down to under the dash near the steering column. And once the air bag module was unplugged, the fuse did not blow. I took the module out and it smells of burn electronics. So being curious as I am, I took the cover off and saw where it was burnt, see pic below. So with that out, I drove the truck around the block and it shifts no problem and the speedo/odo works perfectly.

Thanks Steve83 for your vast amount of information! :thumb:

So off to find a new module ... or can the truck be driven with no problem other than not having an operational air bag?

Steve83
My Truck Mods

Post by Steve83 »

Your pic is too close & blurry for me to see anything burned. I see a slight yellow stain on the T-O-D, but I'd guess it came out of the black ceramic capacitor in front of it. Yes, the truck is safe to drive w/o ADM. If you can't find one locally at a reasonable price, e-mail me. I have several.
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

Steve83 wrote:Your pic is too close & blurry for me to see anything burned. I see a slight yellow stain on the T-O-D, but I'd guess it came out of the black ceramic capacitor in front of it. Yes, the truck is safe to drive w/o ADM. If you can't find one locally at a reasonable price, e-mail me. I have several.
Hey Steve, well the closeness of the photo was only to show the T-O-D as it's called. It was the only evidence I could see other than the strong smell of burnt electronic. I will let you know about the air bag module as soon as I talk to my son. Would you email me regarding the price of one so I can extend that to him? - [email protected] ..... Thanks again!

Steve83
My Truck Mods

Post by Steve83 »

IDK what "T-O-D" means (could be the name of the component, or the manufacturer), but it could be the thermal fuse described in the caption of the diagram I posted earlier.

I'd edit that e-mail address out before all the Russian wife/male enhancement spambots pick it up. If you can't, ask an administrator to do it.
BC96F150
My Truck Mods

Post by BC96F150 »

Steve83 wrote:IDK what "T-O-D" means (could be the name of the component, or the manufacturer), but it could be the thermal fuse described in the caption of the diagram I posted earlier.

I'd edit that e-mail address out before all the Russian wife/male enhancement spambots pick it up. If you can't, ask an administrator to do it.
Hehe, thanks ... more spam/junk mail wouldn't make a difference anyway. Hmm, maybe a Russian wife enhancement though ....... ;)

mr.94
Truck: 1994 F150 2x4
My Truck Mods

Post by mr.94 »

I would like to thank the both of you for this article for solving the same problem I had!
I unplugged the vss, the 3 points on the transmission, and the one above the master cylinder.
So I turn the ignition on and There goes #18 fuse blown. Plugged them all back in then I came
across this wonderful article which a light in the darkness if you will lol. I unplugged the air
bag control module and voila it was cured! Location: Below center of dash now all I need to do is fix the
thermal fuse and plug it back in! So thanks to Steve83 and BC96F150 for your problem solving skills!!!!

It was cold and hands were freezing! Would of brought it in the garage but I was not going to push it lol.
Oh......then my battery was dead!! Charged it and took out the bulb from the cluster for the air bag
because I thought it could of been draining the battery it was already out when I took the cluster saw it
laying in the slot. So, I took it back out just for precautionary measures you know. Now I have everything
put together and running the cluster hasn't been this clean since it was new lol..

So thank you again. And here's a link for replacing the thermal fuse in the air bag diagnostic module
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RaG_Fx3kPc