Looking for recent topics?

Front brake help

ruger9two
Truck: 2005 F-150 XLT
My Truck Mods

Front brake help

Post by ruger9two »

Heard a noise while turning, it looks like the dust shield is now dragging the rotor. Lots of rust. I have a question:

I have replaced calipers before (and rotes and pads). But as I look at this, there doesn't seem to BE any room for a new dust shield? I'm asking because, I want to make sure something else hasn't gone wrong... like a bent tie rod or something pushing something out of alignment? I'm not a mechanic (obviously lol), but as I've said I've replaced calipers before, and was going to again... but if there's something more serious going on, I'll probably have it towed to the local and let them do it.

The outside rotor surface is fine, not sure about the inside surface, but the shield is dragging on it, so...

It's 2005, only 70K on it, but 15 New Jersey winters :(

I was doing it myself to save TIME more than money, this is my work truck. Pics are from the front, and from the bottom

GGALLIN1776
Truck: 1999 F150 XLT 4x4 Ext Iron Oxide Edition
My Truck Mods

Re: Front brake help

Post by GGALLIN1776 »

Yowsers batman.
Looks like any rubber left is begging to be put down.
Well the shield would be constant if that were the culprit. I'd still bend it back a bit closer to where it's supposed to be.
CT winters devoured mine so I just deleted them. 3 bolts then tin snips to clip the part with the least metal & maneuvered it off without damaging anything.

Can you record a video of the sound both stationary and while driving, post it on youtube then share the link here? It could be a few things.

All that loose rust on the components, knock it off with a few hammer taps. Just keep tapping until most of it drops, be mindful of not hitting any threads, etc. You'll have a much better view with that gone.
1999 F150 5.4 Triton XLT 4x4 with the "you better have a tetanus shot"option.
Bearcat 880 CB, the holdover until I find an "export" radio with the 400+ extra channels that won't break the bank.

The frame of colossal might
https://imgur.com/a/ygNv9QZ
ruger9two
My Truck Mods

Post by ruger9two »

Well, I went ahead and removed the shield, it was being held on by only 1 bolt. It was flapping in the wind, about half disintegrated. No way those tiny bolts were coming out, so I just ripped the shield off, cut back what I could. The calipers, pads, rotors all seem fine. One of the calipers might be sticking, I'm not sure yet, but one thing at a time. I did P side yesterday, I'll do D side this morning. I knocked off quite a bit of the scale and rust. Once I drive it I'll know if that was the source of the noise. I posted in another forum and some suggested I actually rebuild the whole front end, especially if I'm keeping the truck (which I am).

Pic of it "cleaned up" before re-assembly:

GGALLIN1776
My Truck Mods

Post by GGALLIN1776 »

If it's only one bolt, just tighten it until it breaks then take the rest of the shield off so you dont have to deal with the leftovers making noise.

I don't imagine you finding a good replacement so might as well. Besides if you do, still 2 good bolt holes.

Looks like you lost about 5lbs! Yup a front end rebuild/4 wheel alignment is in order.
The axles don't look bad (just covered in salt still) but if you can afford it & don't mind a little extra work, replace em anyways. That way what's done is done & that's everything.

There's a site which I've have nothing but luck with & has a 10 year warranty on every part I've purchased from ball joints & pitman arms to gas tanks & sending units.
If something wrong is sent, they let you keep the "screw up" & send you a replacement for free. That has helped since I sell the parts they screwed up on, say it went exclusively to a blazer instead of sharing a part number with an olds bravada, new part, just sell & recoup some of the cost.

Anyways, here's the site, sign up for emails & every month you get either an extra 5%-15% off. They also have an ebay so I check both prior to purchase to make sure I get the cheapest option.
Last part was my brake light lenses which look oem.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/

https://www.ebay.com/str/amautoparts
Bearcat 880 CB, the holdover until I find an "export" radio with the 400+ extra channels that won't break the bank.

GGALLIN1776
My Truck Mods

Post by GGALLIN1776 »

I forgot to ask, but how are the rear leaf spring hangers & shackles looking? Those seem to give out alot faster than the front mounts.

I want to say I did mine last spring, made a world of difference as one spring had already punched through the bed.

ruger9two
My Truck Mods

Post by ruger9two »

I had the rear end done last year. And after research, I'll be taking this in to have the front end done.

But my new problem is: I can't get the brakes firm. I removed the dust shields (and removed the calipers also, but I had a hose clamp on the brake lines). I did the passenger side, bled the system, pedal was firm. Then the driver's side, bled the system, pedal was firm.

I start the truck, and the pedal goes to the floor. What's thy deal? I haven't done brakes in years, but never had this problem. Does it have something to do with the ABS system or what? I'm puzzled... there are no leaks in the system that I can see/find. Truck off=firm pedal, truck on=soft pedal (very soft).